Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is it really a milk allergy?? starting to mistrust the Doctors

(6 Posts)
theaevie Mon 22-May-06 17:15:17

My ds2 has been awkward when feeding from about 3 weeks old. She breastfed reasonably well and took expressed milk with no problems and would normally take about 6ounces per feed. However gradually i replaced breastmilk for formula and the problems then started. This is quite a long story, so please bear with me.

At nine weeks I took her to the GP because the length of time feeding her was getting beyond a joke, it would take 1 to 1 1/2 to take 3 ounces, she would vomit quite often and generally look uncomfortable. The GP thought she had Pyloric Stenosis which was then disproved by the hospital, instead she was treated for reflux (Given Ranitadin, domperidone and gaviscon). Whilst in hospital she then contracted Rotavirus and was put on a drip and starved for 24 hours. Once at home she started to consume milk again, but this time in large quantities, she went from taking 20 ounces to 44 ounces. This behaviour lasted for a week then she returned to taking very small quantities.

We went back to the hospital about 4 weeks later for an outpatients appt, things had not improved and in fact had become worse. She was now taking abount 12 ounces a day and hadnt gained any weight in over 6 weeks. The consultant told me to continue taking the anti reflux meds but at this point i was convinced she was suffering from something else.

Anyway, at 16 weeks she was re-admitted to hospital due to inhaling her medication, the drs then decided it wasnt reflux but milk allergy. My baby was now terrified of the bottle, she would cry before I even attempted to feed her and would attempt to leap from my arms. So the next course of action was to insert a nasal tube. She was given neocate which she seemed to tolerate and actually began to enjoy. She was discharged and started to feed fantastically for a fortnight. However 3 days ago I noticed she was starting to shy away from the bottle and once again every feed is a struggle. Surely she couldnt be allergic to the Neocate??? I have searched the net for answers as I have lost all faith in the paeds, all of them seem to have conflicting views. We are currently awaiting the results of a blood test to check for antibodies but I am at the point of thinking that there must be something seriously wrong with my baby.

theaevie Mon 22-May-06 17:53:08

I forgot to mention her symptons

1) Takes small quantities and then refuses, arches her back, squirms and cries.
2) Incredibly windy
3) Very snotty.
4) Dry skin

Will feed when half asleep, normally because she is totally exhusted from fighting me. These symptons are exactly the same for milk,soy and neocate. What is wrong with her???? We are desperate for an answer!!! :-(

GIGWIG Mon 22-May-06 18:13:40

hello,
Just wanted to send you some sympathy. I don't have any answers for you.

I don't know if your baby has a milk allergy as you were able to give her formula for a while and you probably would have seen symptoms as soon as you started her with formula. It seems extremely unlikely that she would be allergic to neocate - cos it is meant for higly allergic children.

One thought I had - could the teats be irritating her or the plastic from the bottles? I say that not to worry you just to suggest something that may be worth looking at.

My DS gets hives/rash when his skin touches some forms of plastic and rubber tyoe materials like plastic coated tablecloths.

naswm Mon 22-May-06 18:31:05

oh theaevie how frustrating. It does sound like reflux to me though - not that I am an expert, but comparing to my own experiences with DS2

theaevie Mon 22-May-06 19:00:47

Thanks NASWM and GIGWIG. I'm going to see the Consultant on Wednesday so I will ask about the bottles and teats. If she's not allergic to milk I guess it could be trial and error in pinpointing the cause of her extreme reactions.

CADS Tue 30-May-06 15:26:55

Hi theaevie

Do you mind if I ask what the consultant said?

Are you still giving him the reflux meds?

Also, have found some info (on some american MSPI boards) that some babies actually can't tolerate the corn in Neocate and those babies have gone onto Elecare (also a elemental formula) not sure if it is alvailable in the UK, without any problems.

Thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: