Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is DS more likely to be allergic to shellfish if he is allergic to peanuts/sesame? Prawns for dinner...

(10 Posts)
IHeartKingThistle Mon 13-May-13 17:41:16

He hasn't had them before. He eats lots of normal fish but we haven't tried shellfish yet. Anyone know if it's more likely if he has other allergies? Thanks.

MrsLettuce Mon 13-May-13 17:47:40

I don't know, but TBH if he;s anaphylactic to peanuts/sesame I'd be tempted to feed him new, possible allergens in the car park of your local A&E. Better safe than sorry.

IHeartKingThistle Mon 13-May-13 18:04:25

Sorry should have said, he's never had anaphylaxis, just skin reactions. You're right though!

eragon Mon 13-May-13 18:26:38

NO.
if he has a dust mite allergy he may have slightly higher chance of shellfish allergy.

5% of peanut allergic are also allergic to some form of legumes.

are you under the care of a allergy clinic?

girlsyearapart Mon 13-May-13 18:28:26

Fwiw dd is allergic to nuts inc peanut, sesame & eggs but not shellfish..

IHeartKingThistle Mon 13-May-13 18:32:58

Oh that's good. Yep he's also allergic to lentils. No contact with clinic for a while now, so far it's just been a case of avoiding things and managing his eczema. When he has reactions they are mild but then his eczema is terrible for a couple of weeks. He hasn't reacted for a while now touch wood.

Right, I'm dishing up, piriton at the ready...

harverina Mon 13-May-13 22:29:19

This is interesting as my dd, age 3, is allergic to milk, eggs and nuts and so far we have avoided giving her shellfish - my dh claims that shellfish makes his mouth feel odd so this has contributed to me delaying. She has eaten lots of other fish too.

If a child is allergic to something will it show up by rubbing their skin with it first? I am so nervous trying new potential allergens blush

IHeartKingThistle Mon 13-May-13 22:49:34

No reaction! Phew!

girlsyearapart Thu 16-May-13 19:45:35

Harverina- not always as some reactions are ingestion only but its worth a try

harverina Fri 17-May-13 04:46:40

Ok thanks - I may rub a prawn on dd next time I'm having them but a little scared to let her eat them hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now