Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can you be allergic to sanitary pads??

(14 Posts)
GeetTallBird Thu 09-May-13 23:49:02

I've just realised that the regular as clockwork soreness and little rashes that I get when I'm on my period .... are on the areas that the pads are at!

Is there a latex / glue free / maybe natural alternative??

Still18atheart Thu 09-May-13 23:51:01

Sorry if TMI but I get an almost nappy rash type thing with cheaper store own's type brands. Its fine with Always etc. Think it's because they are rougher somehow

VenusRising Thu 09-May-13 23:55:06

Try a silicone mooncup!! I'm very happy with mine.

I always get allergies from San pro, and also loo roll, except the really cheap Unbleached stuff.
Anything with a colour, scent or over processed dry weave is hell after about an hour.
I'm also a big fan again of actual handkerchiefs made out of linen / cotton <naff> but doesn't make my nose itch. Haven't quite got to the cross stitch embroidery!

WestmorlandSausage Thu 09-May-13 23:57:18

many brands of pads are sneakily 'scented' (ha) aways sets me off. I use the boots cotton things where possible.

Startail Fri 10-May-13 00:03:40

Too plastic bag like lining makes me sore.

Ginformation Fri 10-May-13 00:06:54

Loads of chemicals in pads and tampons that can potentially irritate skin and cause thrush. I second the Mooncup recommendation- I used to get thrush (usually mildly) every month but have had no probs since switching (thanks MN!).

SingingSands Fri 10-May-13 00:11:27

I third the mooncup. Seriously, best thing I ever bought.

Growlithe Fri 10-May-13 00:19:27

Always made me itchy. I'd used them since they first come out and never made the connection until I saw a thread on here. I started using Bodyform and been fine since.

MN also put me onto Pantene shampoo causing my itchy scalp.

I'm itch free now. grin

bamboobutton Fri 10-May-13 00:24:23

Always gave me snappy rash too.

I use a mooncup now and use washable pads as back up.

Beehatch Fri 10-May-13 00:31:21

Mooncup - you know you want to!

But Waitrose stock an eco variety of pads with no scents or bleaches, can't recall the name though.

freefrommum Fri 10-May-13 08:48:43

Loving all the mooncup recommendations, might have to give it a go. Tampons and sanitary towels always give me thrush.

GeetTallBird Fri 10-May-13 23:12:08

Oh gawd Pantene is also making me itch too!...thanks MN'ers, local waitrose stock natracare pads so I'm going to try them.
(Considered mooncup but after an 11lb baby am pretty sure I need a moonbucket)

readyforno2 Fri 10-May-13 23:17:03

The only ones I can use are the boots own brand ones. Always are the worst..

GeetTallBird Sat 11-May-13 10:35:52

Always are what was on offer, I've got tooooo many!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now