Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Withdrawal symptoms from giving up gluten

(10 Posts)
threebob Tue 16-May-06 09:09:31

Day 1 of my new gluten free life, I am starving -food seems unsatisfying even though I've had yummy cake and rice pudding.

I suppose I'll feel better about it once I start feeling better in myself - but right now I crave a gluten "high".

Anyone else felt like this?

TambaTheDragonSlayer Tue 16-May-06 09:16:45

Youve been eating cake at this time in the morning?

No advise personally but my mil is on a gluten free diet and seems to eat alot of baked potatoes, meats and eggs.

threebob Tue 16-May-06 09:29:13

It's evening here. Baked potato sounds good, I'll do that for lunch tomorrow.

Eggs are banned in the house - ds is anaphylactic.

clerkKent Tue 16-May-06 12:38:44

I went gf about 15 months ago. I think it is in your mind - gluten apparently takes at least a week to clear your system. Depending on your symptoms, it may be a few months before you fell much benefit (on the other hand it may be a few days!)

threebob Tue 16-May-06 20:07:51

I also have helicobactor pylori - which won't be helping with some of my symptoms, so I guess I won't see an improvement until that's sorted too.

I do feel as if I've given up something addictive though. Maybe I could get addicted to exercise or something

Jimjamskeepingoffvaxthreads Tue 16-May-06 20:11:25

ds1 screams and whacks his head for 24 hours 2 days after gluten infringements. Hmmm wonder if he's starving, will try giving extra food next time....

threebob Tue 16-May-06 21:10:00

I think I might be missing the salt also - as commercial bread is quite salty and I don't add salt to my own cooking.

Had a rice porridge thing for breakfast with yoghurt - will see if this helps as it was hot.

threebob Thu 18-May-06 01:29:27

Day 3 and I've found out that the weird hungry feeling and lightheadedness were actually me starting with a cold.

I took a piece of GF cake to work with me today and thank goodness - they had a whole spread out in the staff room.

yawningmonster Thu 18-May-06 05:09:16

Hallo 3bob how are you?
Sounds as though things are not much fun on the health front!! Hope things improve for you.
I have the Freedom Foods cookbook and the Friendly Foods cookbook if interested in getting any recipes.
Simple do quite a nice bread mix that ds really likes (back off gluten again, though we get to retry oats this week to see how that goes). Anyway catch up soon.

threebob Thu 18-May-06 08:14:45

I just made the worst Simple loaf of bread ever. Even the birds won't touch it!

I have made nice ones in the past though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: