Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Contact dermatitis treatment .. Olive oil?

(7 Posts)
Emperorsnewclothesshow Mon 15-Apr-13 22:26:03

My 3 year old used to have eczema but has grown out of it. Still has sensitive skin and just contracted contact dermatitis ( i think the culprit was some urea body lotion that we put on his face repeatedly.. :-( obviously we stopped that lotion.

The dermatitis has been ongoing for two weeks and I am not sure how to treat this.. I put olive oil but think it makes it worse? Should I experiment with lotions now? Allergic reaction isn't severe but face has some pink patches and looks papery around eyes...

Please help!

geologygirl Mon 15-Apr-13 22:44:46

My ds has this and ive used coconut oil and also hemp seed oil. Both are really good. Just a thin layer does the trick and these oils are much lighter than olive oil. Hope it gets better soon

YoniRanger Mon 15-Apr-13 22:50:24

Can you get hold of some Diprobase? It's magical on contact dermatitis.

SpottyTeacakes Mon 15-Apr-13 22:55:16

Dd has contact dermatitis on her thumb and I honestly find the best thing is Vaseline, really really thick.

tinytalker Tue 16-Apr-13 11:28:09

I find that when mine is bad I have to use a small amount steroid cream for just a few days to clear it and then I use the diprobase to maintain the skin thereafter.

Emperorsnewclothesshow Tue 16-Apr-13 19:59:22

Thank you all! Very varied replies.. I guess i need to find a cream or oil that suits his skin.. Can't believe that it isn't a condition where one cute fits all.. We used to have a bit of steroid cream and I will go to GP if persists.. For now just other light oil..

Emperorsnewclothesshow Tue 16-Apr-13 20:00:17

One cute fits all? I meant one cure of course!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now