Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Not allergy but help figure out what I can eat

(7 Posts)
SpottedDots Sun 14-Apr-13 17:35:53

Before i start I should probably mention that none of these have been diagnosed by a gp so no access to a dietician etc. Been to see several different gps in my surgery and have found them all to be as useless as each other.

So I'm lactose, gluten (and oats) and soya intolerant. On top of this I have to avoid mustard, celery, yeast and a few fruits. I'm pretty sure that's it.

Last couple of weeks I've been having similar symptoms as when I've eaten one of the above but I can't figure out what it could be.

I want to try and cut out rice because that's the only thing I can think of at the moment but I'm struggling massively with finding alternatives. I eat a lot of rice, the majority of my meals include it. Obviously there are potatoes, but they tend to get pretty boring after eating them for a day or two. Pasta is also out, I don't like any of the gluten free varieties.

So any suggestions on what I could eat? Some suggestions for breakfast would also come in handy as I currently use rice milk and don't want to introduce anything new such as coconut milk. Snacks are covered, its just the main meals that I need some help with.
Thanks

MistyB Sun 14-Apr-13 21:07:36

Look at the Paleo diet threads which avoid dairy and grains. Lots of great ideas and blog links.

Breakfast of eggs and oily fish, fruit.

Quinoa is a good alternative to rice.

iseenodust Sun 14-Apr-13 21:10:46

Buckwheat pancakes with ok fruit for breakfast ?

Jammygal Sun 14-Apr-13 21:52:42

I would think it unlikely to be rice as it is one of the least allergenic foods. Could it be a certain brand though???? May be some cross contamination happening. Are you keeping a food diary???? That might help you to pinpoint what is causing symptoms. Good luck ;)

flamingtoaster Sun 14-Apr-13 22:07:47

I know the feeling and sympathise!

I second quinoa - but wash it very, very well as the soapy coating which protects the grain can give it a bitter taste - and once gave me a migraine. Be careful as some varieties of quinoa cannot be tolerated by people sensitive to gluten - afraid it's trial and error to find out which brand you can tolerate.

Millet flakes makes great porridge for breakfast. Try to get a brand (e.g. Zwicky) which are packed with all the air taken out as millet can go rancid (giving a bitter taste) very quickly.

Sweet potatoes are very nice. What about butter nut squash - there are even recipes for bread made with squashes. You could make quiche using potato (or sweet potato) as the base.

You could use buckwheat noodles as the basis of a meal.

You can make pancakes with gram flour (which is chickpea).

Hope this helps!

SpottedDots Sun 14-Apr-13 22:22:33

I knew there was going to be something I would miss. Eggs are also out.

Oily fish is good. Fruit is also good especially when I add nuts and seeds to it but I tend to snack on fruit throughout the day and there's only so much fruit I can eat in a day.

Quinoa would work I think. From what I've read it's meant to taste similar to couscous but I'm hoping that's not the case.

I agree that rice does seem really unlikely but at the minute its the only thing that I can think of. No possibility of cross contamination no, I make everything myself and any open packets of food that I use are on my top shelf in the cupboard which doesn't get used by anyone else. I'm pretty careful with it all. I don't think its the brand either, the milk, noodles and actual rice are different brands.

I could tell you exactly what I've eaten in the last two weeks, my diet is pretty limited so I tend to stick to the same things and rice seems to be the only constant. I did think it could be banana or apples but I stopped both and there was no change

SpottedDots Mon 15-Apr-13 22:49:05

Well its only been a day but so far I have had absolutely no symptoms so I'm about 90% sure it is the rice. I have eaten exactly the same today as I did yesterday minus the rice milk so I could know for sure.

Thank you for the suggestion of the paleo diet, having looked into it quite a bit it looks like something that would work really well for me. Its good to find recipes that I can actually follow for a change. Fingers crossed that it will work out alright.

Does anyone know why I would be developing these intolerance's? I've been lactose for 8 years (also when I was a baby but grew out of it by 2), gluten for 4 years, this came on after I had food poisoning, then soya for the last year. I don't really understand it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: