Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

advice needed, so fed up (dairy allergy and breasfeeding)

(16 Posts)
ariane5 Fri 12-Apr-13 20:00:54

Ds2 reacts badly to cows milk, if I drink it he is violently sick so I am currently dairy free, he is 1 year old but still bf a lot.

He also has reacted to food with milk in so we have kept well away from it.
Ds1 and dd2 also have milk allergy. As a baby ds1 had neocate and is now on neocate advance.dd2 had neocate and moved on to alpro 1+.

I have been to gp a lot about it and they know I'm dairy free. Recently I have been unwell a lot/run down etc and cannot get a break at all, tried ds2 on the alpro 1+ but it seemed to upset him a bit, he's fine with tiny amount in porridge etc but the bottle seemed a bit much somehow and he was windy/stomach ache (I think as cried a lot).
I also cannot leave him with anybody and dd2 is in hosp a lot and I need to sometimes be able to leave him.

Spoke to hv who said def go to gp ask for ref to allergy clinic and a prescription in the meantime till appt comes through. Saw them yest and asked for neocate or aptamil pepti but they said no???

Had a bad day today I am exhausted so went back and begged just for a couple of tins of something and the doctor said no again and then said I should just buy a soya formula over the counter? Ds2 didn't get on well with the alpro and I don't have the money to buy a big tin as don't know what ds will prefer.hv said pepti the nicest tasting but if he reacts to that then would need neocate.

I'm so desperate I am tied to him 24/7 he is fed so much (also has reflux and struggles with solids) I'm so cross gp wouldn't give him anything and it could take weeks for appt to come through I can't wait that long, being dairy free is tough for me (am underweight and tired) and I need something for ds in case I have to take dd2 to hosp or even just to have a break.

SwishSwoshSwoosh Fri 12-Apr-13 20:03:40

I would request a second opinion or at least an appt with another GP as your first port of call?

ariane5 Fri 12-Apr-13 20:09:42

They said today when I went back after being refused today that they won't prescribe untill he has been seen by a consultant and they are told which formula to prescribe?

With dd2 the gp just referred her but gave me 4 tins of neocate to see her through till appt.
I really am just exhausted and want to start him on some milk that will give me a break and then I won't panic everytime dd2 has to go into hospital.
Had a look at buying online but they are all too expensive and I worry about whether it would be the genuine product or not.

SwishSwoshSwoosh Fri 12-Apr-13 20:19:41

Oh ok, sorry about that. I am sure if you place an order through wherever you get prescription from, e.g. Boots, it will be the genuine product. Doesn't help with cost though!

ariane5 Fri 12-Apr-13 20:27:09

Can I buy those formulas over the counter then ? I thought they were prescription only?
I would feel happier going to somewhere like boots or a local chemist but didn't think I could just purchase it

SwishSwoshSwoosh Fri 12-Apr-13 20:39:50

Oh gosh, I don't know - I assumed if you were buying online then you could. Call a pharmacy?

ariane5 Fri 12-Apr-13 20:44:09

Neither neocate or aptamil pepti are on boots website.

I looked on one called pharmacy2u but no idea if it an ok one to use. 1 small tin of pepti is 12.99! I wouldn't want to make a mistake after spending that amount on formula!

I just want to be able to have some peace of mind that ds2 has milk if I need somebody to babysit and to be honest I'm struggling to continue bf as am so run down.

Really wish gp had been more sympathetic and just given me a tin or two for him.I will go to a chemist tomorrow and ask if they can just sell it to me over the counter.

Thanks

SwishSwoshSwoosh Fri 12-Apr-13 21:08:07

I would guess you have to order it. Why don't you phone a 24 hour chemist now and ask them how much etc? Hope you get smething sorted.

Jojay Fri 12-Apr-13 21:13:54

Have you tried him on oat / almond / coconut milk?

It's not ideal as a main drink at his age but it would tide him over in an emergency if you were called away with DS1- he's not going to become malnourished in a day or two.

mumtolilh Fri 12-Apr-13 21:17:21

My son had this bf from birth switched to formula at 6 months & to cows milk at 1 year...suddenly just disappeared all together at 15 months after trying everything it just stopped on its own
All the best & do whatever you think is right ;-)

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Fri 12-Apr-13 21:29:18

Get him some KOKO ( formally KarA) coconut milk. Milk allergic babies r often soya allergic to. smile

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Fri 12-Apr-13 21:30:45

It has added vitamins and minerals inline with cows milk. Will do him a day or two , maybe longer.

shufflebum Fri 12-Apr-13 21:33:51

You can buy neocate and nutramigen aa over the counter but they are extortionate upto £35 a tin! I had to do it while I was waiting for the GP to get their act together. The pharmacy will think you are bonkers too.
I think there is a way if you get your receipt signed by the pharmacist if you then get the milk on prescription then it can be refunded but double check as I'm not 100% on that.
Good luck it's a horrible struggle.

ariane5 Fri 12-Apr-13 21:36:39

Thankyou I will try that (think I have time to amend my shopping delivery before tomorrow!).

I have really tried but being dairy free myself this time in order to bf has been really difficult. I don't want to stop bf altogether but need him to take something else as well.
Other dcs were absolutely fine with soya and although it doesn't make him vomit like cows milk does and he can tolerate a little bit a whole bottle seems to upset him.

Fingers crossed his appt comes through quickly.

ariane5 Fri 12-Apr-13 21:39:30

I do have lots of ds1 neocate advance (says from 12mths) but I don't want to give ds2 the 'wrong' formula (ds1 is 6).I was tempted to try it but really don't want to make ds2 ill if it isn't right type for him.

Gp were adamant only the consultant will tell them what/when to prescribe.

Hoophopes Fri 12-Apr-13 22:52:58

If you dd needs hospital before your appointment comes through I would be tempted to tell the hospital you are a breast feeding mum, the need for allergy free formula and gp refusal to prescribe and waiting for an appointment. You may find they sort it out there and then for you!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now