Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Alpro Soya 1+ - worried about giving so much soya?

(8 Posts)
GentlyGentlyOhDear Wed 10-Apr-13 21:47:42

DD was diagnosed as CMPI at about 3 months old. I've breastfed but cut out dairy. She's just turned one and I'm starting to wean her off the breast and have been giving the 1+ milk.
But I'm starting to worry about giving her lots of soya as a lot of people have mentioned that she shouldn't have it and that the hormones can have dangerous effects longterm.
I mentioned the soya issue to the dietician when DD was about 6 months and I wanted to mix-feed, but she just downplayed it and said that the research was carried out on primates and not humans and that there was no problem to give soy formula.
Anyone else as concerned as me about it?
Really want to stop breastfeeding and have cut it down to one feed a day, but don't want to give my daughter potentially harmful products instead!

littlemissengaged Thu 11-Apr-13 07:15:21

i was in the same position and asked my gp to prescribe aptamil pepti 2 which is a formula and saved soya products for yoghurts, cheese and ice cream.

ds didn't react to soya but after reading about fertility issues due to too much soya i wasn't happy for him to have it as his main milk replacement

GentlyGentlyOhDear Thu 11-Apr-13 11:38:08

Can I buy the Aptamil Pepti anywhere?

I think I might ask at the GP then, as I am worried about it. Also a bit annoyed that the dietician fobbed me off and said it's fine and just go and buy some from the supermarket. Grrr!

We are trying to reintroduce cow's milk so will see how that goes too.

littlemissengaged Thu 11-Apr-13 18:55:52

you can but its quite expensive about £13 for a 400g tin which is half the size of a normal one

littlemissengaged Thu 11-Apr-13 18:56:40

oh you buy it from online pharmacies, we get our prescription from boots but have never seen it on sale in there

GentlyGentlyOhDear Thu 11-Apr-13 18:59:36

Thanks for the reply. I'll make an appointment at the docs then to try to get some.

bonzo77 Thu 11-Apr-13 19:03:00

There are other alternatives to cows milk. Rice, oat, almond and goats milk are widely available.

GentlyGentlyOhDear Thu 11-Apr-13 19:10:24

I thought that you couldn't use the others as a main drink for under 2s?
I would happily use oatly when dd reaches two.
We have been told to steer clear of nut milks at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now