Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Going to get my DCs tested for food allergies - what should I ask the specialist?

(3 Posts)
LehmanSisters Sat 23-Mar-13 22:51:11

I agree with Ducks, we got the almighty brush off from the GP at first too, despite having one very poorly DD.

Like Ducks said, I think there is no test as such for an intolerance. My DD is intolerant to soya products but she it doesn't appear on any allergy blood tests like her allergies do. It was diagnosed by simply chatting with the paediatrician and dietician, sort of like super-sleuthing her symptoms (double incontinence so you don't really need to be Poirot or Miss Marple to spot it!) and coming to the conclusion of a diagnosis.

What type of symptoms are they having?

OHforDUCKScake Sat 23-Mar-13 22:35:12

Hi ya, bloomin GP brushing you off. Grrr. This happens so much.

Do you think your DC have allergies and intolerances or just the latter?

As far as I know, you cannot test for intolerances. Thats not to say you wont get good advice, support, action plan and more from a specialist so brilliant that you've made an appointment.

WRT what to ask the specialist, it very much depends on your situation. What has been happening so far?

PoppyWearer Sat 23-Mar-13 22:17:40

After being brushed off by the GP angry, I have found a local private allergy specialist doctor (who seems to be quoted in lots of articles and have a good reputation) and have booked private appointments for my two DCs to be seen by him and tested for food allergies/intolerances.

Food intolerances run in my family and I have noticed many symptoms in my DCs (aged 4yo and 18mo). My DMum has said that a lot of the symptoms are what she observed in my DSis (who has confirmed intolerances) at their age.

I already know one intolerance of my DS due to trial-and-error but there must be more, the poor wee thing suffers so much with trapped wind.

So, what do I need to know, what advice would you give me, and what should I be asking the specialist?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now