Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

allergy tests for 1 year old

(10 Posts)
littlemissengaged Mon 04-Mar-13 19:01:54

does anyone know if they are available on the nhs?

ds gets very sick, bloated and comes out in a rash when he has eggs or milk but my doctor is refusing to do any tests as she thinks its something he'll grow out of angry

Cillitbanger Mon 04-Mar-13 19:14:21

Yes they are available on NHS. I'm in Scotland and not sure if that makes a difference . My DD had a reaction to scrambled eggs at a year old and our GP referred her. She had an appt with paediatrician then skin tests last week. I asked for her to be tested for peanuts too (family history), paediatrician (who was a bit snotty tbh) sneered a bit but agreed to have her tested. Bizarrely skin prick test showed positive for peanuts and negative for eggs. We're just waiting for appt to discuss results now. Dig your heels and exaggerate if need be, and in the meantime get some Piriton syrup for use when he does show a reaction. Apparently egg allergy is really common and they do tend to grow out of it (and they can be allergic to raw/semi cooked egg but be ok with cooked egg!!). Hope that helps.

littlemissengaged Mon 04-Mar-13 19:53:30

What should i do if the gp says no?

They are phoning me tomorrow to discuss his results as he was tested for a viral infection (weds) but i did say that i was convinced it was an allergic reaction as only happens when he drinks cows milk and eats eggs. I phoned them back (thurs) and emphasised that if they came back negative id be requesting allergy tests to which she replied thats its not something they do on the nhs.

When she phones ill explain why i want the tests but unsure what i do if they refuse.

Im in Nottinghamshire

MegMogAndOwl Mon 04-Mar-13 21:33:41

You can definitely get allergy tests on the nhs, my dd had skin prick tests at 8 months as she'd had reactions similar to your ds. She is allergic to both cows milk and eggs. It is common for children to outgrow these types of reactions but you still need to know so you can avoid things.

There are NICE guidelines regarding allergy testing and GP's are supposed to refer you. If you post in the allergies section, or ask for your thread to be moved, I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the direction of a link.


eragon Mon 04-Mar-13 23:08:34

good advice from above posts. your GP can do a blood or RAST test for IgE food allergies (not intolerences) but you still further medical advice from a pead immunologist for support.

I suspect as you are in scotland this will be tricky and depends where you live, you can ring the anaphylaxis campaign helpline, and see if you can get name of nearest doc to you.

If your first gp doesnt help, try another in practice, esp if a newly qualified gp is on the scene as they might have better/relevent training.

good luck. keep pushing for help.

littlemissengaged Tue 05-Mar-13 05:55:03

Thanks ive asked for this thread to be moved the the allergy section

Pobblewhohasnotoes Tue 05-Mar-13 09:39:19

My DS had skin prick testing at five months old on the NHS so your GP is taking bollocks. He's now under the dermatology and allergy team. He has eczema and got referred for a dairy allergy.

Your GP can refer you. You may have to stand your ground, if they refuse see a different GP or complain to the practice manager. Some GPs are very good at trotting out the 'they'll grow out of it' line. It doesn't help. You have to dig your heels and be firm I'm afraid.

littlemissengaged Tue 05-Mar-13 10:58:40

thanks ill definitely be digging my heels in, ill give them until 2 then ill ring them

RowanMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 05-Mar-13 13:21:40

Hello - we've moved this to 'allergies' at the OP's request.

freefrommum Tue 05-Mar-13 15:07:09

Link to NICE guidelines:
My usual advice is to wave these in GP's face while demanding a referral for allergy testing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: