Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I need your opinions please

(11 Posts)
Wheresmycaffeinedrip Tue 05-Feb-13 17:37:32

Thank you meg for your replies.

I agree it can be a PITA, and I reAlise it probably does sound crazy to someone like yourself who has no choice.

Dd2 we were really just waiting for her to be able to communicate more before attempting. When we first tried she was really grumpy after a few days and wasn't sleeping well and as a toddler we felt it could be anything upsetting her but if there was a risk it could be the intro then it didn't seem worth it at the time.

If it hadnt been for the fact that dd1's health has improved dramatically after we tried it with her too then I wouldn't be hesitating like this.

I think
I will postpone for now. Things I've battled for years with dd1 have finally improved and the things I was dreading with dd2 haven't happened yet and I just don't want to disrupt things.

Dd2 won't be in pre school for another year so shouldn't be much of an issue til then.

MegBusset Tue 05-Feb-13 17:19:01

Well look of course it's up to you. As someone with a DC who has no choice but to exclude certain foods, which is certainly a PITA when you get to the stage where you want to eat out with them / they go to preschool / get invited to birthday parties etc, it's true that I don't see why anyone would put themselves and their DC through it when there was a chance they wouldn't have to.

If you are happier not trying for now then there doesn't seem much point having an appointment, maybe postpone for 6 months and see how you feel then?

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Tue 05-Feb-13 17:05:52

In just having trouble deciding. I don't really have anyone in RL with a child that has dietary requirements and so their thoughts are always going to be " well be easier...."

I just wanted to run it past others who have dealt with it in the hope I won't be greeted with the hmm face for willingly excluding food groups.

I also don't want to cancel appointment and be written off given that I do appreciate the time they have given and I'm
Not disregarding the process merely unsure if I feel it's right for my child. I also reAlise that I may need their advice in the future and I don't want to appear awkward.

MegBusset Tue 05-Feb-13 16:54:54

OK, so if you and the dietician are 100% happy with carrying on as you are, why this thread?

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Tue 05-Feb-13 16:41:53

In fact no one has ever recommended we do it , or implied that she was in any way missing out on anythin by remaining dairy free.


Wheresmycaffeinedrip Tue 05-Feb-13 14:59:31

She didn't recommend I do it. She just told me how to go about it. The decision was ultimately mine. She totally understood y I stopped the first time and agreed that there was no sense in upsetting her any further as she was only just over a year. She was satisfied that her diet was a good one and that she didn't need to worry about it. Weirdly she was taking notes from me when I told her about web sites I was using and products I had found.

I know it seems crazy to some people but I just want to keep my dd in the good health she's in. smile

MegBusset Tue 05-Feb-13 14:35:36

Oh sorry I didn't read properly blush. I don't know much about intolerances. But I don't really understand why you wouldn't try reintroduction if the dietician recommends it.

LondonCalling74 Tue 05-Feb-13 14:21:30

You say in your first post that she was diagnosed with CMPI. Then it's not an allergy and certainly the symptoms you describe and the fact that you can and do give her occasional things with dairy in suggest to me you are talking about an intolerance. No testing will pick that up. Allergies are different and involve the immune system. My experience is only in dealing with a child with allergies (including dairy) and so I can't offer much experience or advice as managment/diagnosis is different. But my understanding is that many infants who show signs of CMPI do indeed outgrow it very quickly, often by 6-12 months. Frankly I would be taking the opportunity to see the dietician and if your daughter can tolerate dairy then reintroducing it.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Tue 05-Feb-13 13:50:20

All her symptoms were gastric, she never reacted to contact. It wasn't an allergy there were no rashes etc.

She just got very grumpy and her tummy hurt. Oh and her skin dried out and she got gunky eyes.

Would an intoloerence show a reaction to skin prick test?

Btw there r no other allergies so excluding one thing is t a problem for me. She's fine with soya too. smile

MegBusset Tue 05-Feb-13 13:45:07

Has she had blood test or skin prick test for the suspected allergy? I'd ask for that first. If it comes back clear then there's a good chance she will have outgrown it so then I would reintroduce. DS1 couldn't have cows' milk as a baby but was fine with it by about 2yo. Given that he has loads of other allergies, it's a relief to know there's one ingredient we don't need to worry about!

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Tue 05-Feb-13 13:39:21

Ok, so I have my dd2's appointment to see the dietitian through, got it a while back. I'm really struggling to decide whether to go through with it again.

Dd2 was on pepti milk as a baby due to suspected cmpi. She did really well and thrived in it all symptoms disappeared. Just after she turned 1 we saw a dietitian for some advice as to what milk she could go onto and about re introducing dairy. All fine, got given the instructions and left pleased knowing I didn't have to worry about prescriptions anymore.

Re introduction didn't go that well dd got very frumpy and we decided to stop and I explained at next appointment that she was happy on her new milk and that we will try again around age two when she's more verbal and can tell us if she's feeling funny.

So, 2 comes around appointment is through and now I can't decide whether to re try. She's happy , I don't find it a struggle and she can tolerate the odd tret of something not entirely dairy free. I know that there's a good chance she will have out grown it but I'm really not sure I want to risk it.

We r so far asthma symptom free (touch wood) and yes I know there's debatable connections but still.... She has lovely soft skin and most of all is happy and healthy and I feel no need to change that over something non vital. Plus she's not verbal enough yet.

So guys what would you do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now