Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mouth ulcers in allergic children

(5 Posts)
BlueBumedFly Thu 03-Jan-13 07:51:55

Hi - does anyone else's DCs get a lot of mouth ulcers? We are waiting for a GOSH referral due to unresolved allergy issues with DD (5y/o) mainly due to the worry over her reactions to atopic anaesthetics. However, she does seem to have other issues, mainly wheat.

She is rarely without a mouth ulcer, and even if she'd let me put bonjella etc. on them I couldn't as they contain local anaesthetic.

Looking forward to anyone else's advise?

Thanks
BBF

notapizzaeater Thu 03-Jan-13 15:04:57

My ds is coeliac and if he has oats he gets mouth ulcers. Would ice help the pain ? We used anbesol liquid but guess that's not an option hmm

greenbananas Thu 03-Jan-13 15:19:31

I had loads of mouth ulcers as a child. They were so painful! I'm not seriously allergic to anything, but had undiagnosed intolerances to some foods. My mouth ulcers cleared up around the same time that I started cooking for myself and did not have to share the family diet, but of course that might have been coincidence.

I used to swill my mouth out with milk (and then I would spit out the milk as swallowing milk always made me feel sick and bloated). Cows milk is alkaline, and I figured it would help to neutralise the acid of the ulcers. That worked for me - perhaps your DD could try it if she is not allergic to dairy?

Andro Thu 03-Jan-13 15:59:10

Anything with raw egg in it makes me puke and gives me mouth ulcers, as long as I avoid things like mayo (and illicit samplings of raw cake mix) I'm fine. Some children seem prone to mouth ulcers but if they're allergy or intolerance related then finding teh trigger is the only advice I can offer - maybe GOSH will be able to help.

BlueBumedFly Thu 03-Jan-13 22:40:55

Thank you all, I'm seeing lots of links in what you've all said. DD is egg allergic, wheat intol amongst other things ... She does also eat a lot of oaty based things.... I'm going to keep a track - thanks again ladies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now