Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Eczema's Back :(

(5 Posts)
DeathMetalMum Sun 16-Dec-12 21:13:04

Dd is 22 months and had eczema since birth pretty much. It has been bad but never severe. We had managed to get it under bay somehow and hadnt really bothered her for months. Now I guess because of central heating and wrapping her up warm it is back possibly the worst she has had it.

Even though it had dissapeared we were still applying a mosituriser cream 1-2 times a day and still had the aveeno oil in thr bath. We upped the cream to applying as much as pissible nappy changes etc and not much improvment. Got the steriod cream out again this helped clear it up fast forward a week and we are back at square one. Dp wants me to go back to the GP but Im not sure what they can do (if I can get an appiontment). Could it be possible the moisturiser cream is loosing its affect? We had this once before used to used diprobase which was great suddnely didn't work and we had a sample from the hv of another cream that didnt help then GP prescribed doublebase which seemed to get things normal again.

In the last month we have had her scratching until she was bleeding and tonight whilst in bed she was crying with fustration over the itching sad. I'm not really sure where to go from here as applying the hydrocorsitone cotinuiously is not good. I have read on here about scratch sleeves but it think it is too late to intoduce them to her (she hates having gloves on or anything that restricts her).

Cheesyslice Sun 16-Dec-12 21:16:45

Sorry to hear your DD is suffering.

I've just bought DS' eczema under control with the help of my wonderful GP - his skin routine is as follows:

Aveeno in the bath (we bath him every other night)
Aveeno cream all over. This stuff is unbelievable. We used diprobase for ages but with no change. Aveeno cream heed his skin in a matter of days.
Fucibet on very sore patches when required.

Good luck.

Cheesyslice Sun 16-Dec-12 21:17:32

*helped not heed. Crappy autocorrect.

Piffpaffpoff Sun 16-Dec-12 21:22:44

Maybe worth a visit back to GP in case it is infected. We sometimes needed Fucidin or some other cream that I can't remember the name of that was steroid-and-something for a few days to get it back under control. Second Aveeno though, it's very good and worked a treat for us.

I sympathise, my 4yo is having a flare up at the moment so we're back on anti-histamine syrup and tons of cream, but she is just scratching all the time!

gingerninja Sun 16-Dec-12 21:36:09

We never got on with aveeno you really have to go through them all, when you use steroids you can't stop suddenly you need to taper so from twice a day to once a day to every other day etc etc or you'll get kick back. She might be old enough for some anti histamine at night and worth going back to GP. A stronger steroid for a few days is far better than weeks of weak stuff. I have looooots of experience with eczema, two DDs with it, one very severe when younger, now at 6 under control.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now