Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Allergy to lactose

(11 Posts)
shitmagnet Thu 25-Oct-12 10:55:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

freefrommum Thu 25-Oct-12 13:06:05

I would suggest contacting the Anaphylaxis Campaign for advice. They are really helpful and a great source of information.

OHforDUCKScake Thu 25-Oct-12 13:41:20

11yo or 11mo?

shitmagnet Thu 25-Oct-12 13:53:24

shitmagnet Thu 25-Oct-12 13:54:54

shitmagnet Thu 25-Oct-12 13:57:00

freefrommum Thu 25-Oct-12 14:27:00

I really don't know about anaphylaxis to polysaccharides but I was always told to avoid lactose for DS who is allergic to cow's milk protein as it is possible that it will contain tiny amounts of protein. This can be difficult with medication as lots of tablets contain lactose (inc. antihistamines) so we have to avoid all of those too.

eragon Thu 25-Oct-12 15:08:52

is he under the care of a immunologist at an allergy clinic?

of course IgE allergies are caused by protein strands which vary even between similar foodstuffs, eg different types of chick peas grown in different countries.
and of course, you can be allergic to more than one protein strand in one food, and so
the basic care remains the same, avoid all forms of culprit.

how is health generally? does this child have asthma, environmental allergies or severe ezcema? all impact on reaction status to contact and ingestion reaction.

the longer the allergy list the more problematic it becomes to avoid them, however, multiple reactions of such severity may need a expert eye cast over iyswim.

This child is entering the teen years, and although there have been no studies, there is an accepted thought that hormones may increase problems with allergic teens. That said, established link to reaction severity if allergen ingested while woman are on period, so hormones can be an issue.
this will ease of in time towards end of teen years.

obviously any medication needs to be checked for allergens and can be a problem, as does any ezcema product, with the same care as food.

I 2nd the advice to contact anaphylaxis campaign helpline. Moira is esp wonderful btw.

babybarrister Thu 25-Oct-12 19:10:34

I third advice re anaphylaxis campaign - they will also be able to provide details for Ozzie versiongrin

shitmagnet Thu 25-Oct-12 23:52:17

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Fri 26-Oct-12 00:53:54

Oh god, I hadn't thought about medicines for my DS3. He's only 21mo. Has been on a CMP, soy, nut free diet since weaning, and before that I was on he same exclusion diet while bf. problems with CMP were picked up at 6wo while exclusively bf.

Is there a list of 'safe' and 'unsafe' medicines wrt lactose?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now