Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Food Standards Agency - poor wording on website?

(16 Posts)
greenbananas Thu 25-Oct-12 09:40:24

Here's an excerpt from the Food Standards agency website:

People with some food allergies, particularly peanut allergy, have to be extremely careful what they eat. Food labelling is very important to these people because the consequences of eating the food they are allergic to could be very serious.

What's bothering me is the phrase "particularly peanut allergy". Why particularly peanut allergy? Surely ingesting any allergen could be very serious. DS is allergic to peanuts, but would be equally ill if he ate traces of milk, eggs or sesame.

freefrommum Thu 25-Oct-12 10:17:05

This is the sort of thing that drives me crazy!!!! I was talking about this very issue last night at an Anaphylaxis Campaign workshop. The media has peddled this idea for years that nut allergy is somehow more serious than any other allergy and we are now in situation where nut allergy is the only allergy that many members of society (including the Food Standards Agency it would appear) take seriously. My DS is anaphylactic to milk, wheat, eggs and nuts and in fact the nuts are the least of our worries! An allergy to nuts is no more or less serious to an allergy to anything else, it depends on the person and severity of their allergy not what the allergen is. My DS's allergy to milk/wheat/egg is far more serious than my DH's allergy to nuts (which is mild to moderate).

Shame on you FSA!!!!

babybarrister Thu 25-Oct-12 19:16:34

Contact Anaphylaxos Campaign and point it out as they have regular meetings with FDAgringringrin

babybarrister Thu 25-Oct-12 19:16:48

FSAgringrin

greenbananas Fri 26-Oct-12 06:38:17

freefrommum you are so right about this kind of thing perpetuating the myth that only nut allergies are serious. I rang the Food Standard Agency yesterday afternoon and told them what I thought about the wording on the website. I suggested they talk to the Anaphylaxis Campaign about finding something more appropriate, and they said they already work closely with the Anaphylaxis Campaign smile I hope this does get changed, as I feel quite strongly that the Food Standards Agency has a responsibility to get this sort of thing right.

The FSA also dealt with my original enquiry really well, taking it very seriously (I had found two bagels containing milk and poppy seeds in a packet of 'safe' bagels I had bought).

greenbananas Sat 27-Oct-12 08:05:02

Food Standards Agency rang me yesterday and went through exactly where the offending bits were - totally appreciated the point and are going to look at this carefully smile

babybarrister Sat 27-Oct-12 12:51:45

Great newssmile

freefrommum Sat 27-Oct-12 18:31:37

Another orange cape moment - getting to be a regular thing! grin

babybarrister Mon 29-Oct-12 09:03:41

hgrin - I am just waiting for an offer to be made re milk in fruit juice !!!

greenbananas Mon 29-Oct-12 09:58:51

Excellent news - really glad that is coming to a good conclusion smile smile

sariom Mon 29-Oct-12 10:49:01

I work for the Anaphylaxis Campaign and have just spoken with the FSA about the wording on the website. They are still "looking into it", but I will certainly pursue the issue.

Maz007 Mon 29-Oct-12 16:40:03

Fab! Thank you smile

greenbananas Mon 29-Oct-12 19:26:35

sariom really good to know you are pursuing this. It's so important that reputable organisations like the FSA get it right.

freefrommum Mon 29-Oct-12 19:30:54

Yes, thanks sariom

sariom Thu 01-Nov-12 16:43:57

I've spoken to the FSA again today and they are definitely going to amend their website. They have a number of items to update on the site and to minimise costs they want to do them all together, so it may take a while for the changes to appear on the site.

greenbananas Thu 01-Nov-12 18:31:36

Excellent news, sariom - thank you! smile smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now