Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

epi pens on planes

(24 Posts)
Magicmayhem Wed 24-Oct-12 20:27:08

when we went to Turkey last year my Dr gave us a letter to take with us on the plane explaining that DS had food allergies and needed his epi-pens with him. I rang the surgery today asking if they could print off another copy of the letter as we are going abroad again at half term, she couldn't find a copy of the letter and said that the repeat perscription form should be ok instead as it has DS's name on and the Dr's address. Is this right, has anyone else used their repeat perscription form? I just don't want any hassle at the airport. TIA

fraktion Wed 24-Oct-12 20:31:36

Never had a problem. Never even been asked for the prescription.

Magicmayhem Wed 24-Oct-12 20:37:18

hi fraktion, do you mean you just take the epi-pen without any note? does no one ever ask about it? do you just leave it in your hand luggage to go through the xray? sorry lots of questions smile

eragon Wed 24-Oct-12 21:00:21

no get a note just in case. we lost a letter and had it re-done. we also asked doc to list all medication, not just the epi pens as the liquid anti histamine is more likely to be questioned.

Jammygal Wed 24-Oct-12 21:15:52

I've never taken a letter and never been asked despite having to carry two epi pen and a bottle of antihistamine. I always pull it out my bag and show it to the Folk operating the X-ray machine.....sometimes they hand it over the machine themselves...sometimes it goes through machine. I think they see so many they don't even bat an eyelid!

fraktion Wed 24-Oct-12 21:17:19

I've just had prescription and the original box. In hand luggage, searched once and when they saw the box they were fine. They didn't mind about the paperwork.

Liquid meds however are more difficult as PP said.

SkyFell Wed 24-Oct-12 21:21:03

I carry needles when I travel and I have never been asked for a letter (although I do have one). They seem to accept them without question.

trixymalixy Wed 24-Oct-12 21:23:12

We carry a letter, but have never been asked anything about either epipens or piriton.

eragon Wed 24-Oct-12 21:50:24

we have been asked about both. the letter stopped any problems that may have developed.

Magicmayhem Wed 24-Oct-12 23:01:47

thanks everyone for replying, so, on reflection do you think I should get another note from the Drs, did you have to pay for yours? TIA

freefrommum Thu 25-Oct-12 10:27:44

We always carry a letter from the consultant but have never been asked for it. However, they do check that the antihistamine medicine has a prescription label on it so if it hasn't you'll need a letter. I would ask for another letter from the doctor if I were you, just in case. It's a good idea to contact the airline beforehand too just to make sure they don't have any specific regulations about epi-pens as they all have different rules about everything!

babybarrister Thu 25-Oct-12 19:14:13

We have also had problems with the liquids so if you want to take them then definitely get a letter

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Fri 26-Oct-12 01:27:53

I was given a special form yesterday at the allergist, and told to keep it in his allergy box along with his everyday allergy management plan, his cetirizine syrup, his piriton syrup and his Jext pens.

Looks like it's specific to my hospital trust though.

pimmsgalore Fri 26-Oct-12 14:19:35

The epi pen website advises you to carry a letter as the pen is not supposed to go through the x ray machine. The letter therefore means you can carry it through the metal detector in person.

fraktion Fri 26-Oct-12 15:43:09

Really pimms.

Oops. Mine's always gone through the machine!

fraktion Fri 26-Oct-12 15:43:53

Sorry that was a question rather than a statement. I never knew that!

freefrommum Fri 26-Oct-12 15:48:41

I've never been told that the epi-pens aren't supposed to go through the x-ray machine! I always take them out of my bag and put them in the tray separately but I don't carry them through. I'm off to check the Meda website...

pimmsgalore Fri 26-Oct-12 15:53:19

bottom of this page says effects are unkown so should carry and not allow in x ray machine.

Only reason I knew was because I was checking it out as we are off on holiday at xmas and will be my first time flying since being issued with them

freefrommum Fri 26-Oct-12 15:55:26

Phew! Nope, no mention of not putting epi-pens through the x-ray machine. Just says to have a letter (or download form for doc to sign) to allow you to take them on the aircraft with you. So I'm pretty sure it's fine for them to go through the x-ray machine and I'm sure most security personnel would prefer that to make sure there wasn't anything else concealed within them.

pimmsgalore Fri 26-Oct-12 16:27:01

Freefrom maybe its because I am looking at the US page not the English one, is our adrenalin different then? Or is it over cautious americans?

babybarrister Fri 26-Oct-12 16:29:47

Mine have been through x rays loads of times and have subsequently worked as I had to use one abroadsad

amillionyears Fri 26-Oct-12 16:34:11

Is the epipen for nuts?
Airlines like to know about nut allergies on planes. At least,the one we went with did.

freefrommum Fri 26-Oct-12 16:56:19

Interesting. I'm pretty sure the adrenaline isn't any different so maybe US are a bit more cautious given their statement that "the effects of x-rays on epinephrine are unknown". Good to know they still work babybarrister but I guess it puts a real dampener on a holiday having to use them sad

babybarrister Sat 27-Oct-12 13:01:34

Maybe this another question for Anaphylaxis Campaign - they have a whole section on travel on their website

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now