Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does anyone know the Spanish for gluten free?

(13 Posts)
talkingnonsense Wed 24-Oct-12 08:42:31

We are off to Spain (hooray!) but since last time I have developed gluten intolerance. I've packed some gluten free oatcakes, but wondered if anyone knew what Spain in general is like for gluten free? Thanks!

Bunbaker Wed 24-Oct-12 08:56:39

Sin gluten (according to google translate)

Pagwatch Wed 24-Oct-12 08:58:31

It's sin gluten

Pagwatch Wed 24-Oct-12 08:59:13

Many supermarkets have sin gluten sections (hooray)

DottyDot Wed 24-Oct-12 08:59:14

ooh yes it's sin gluten (something I know - hurrah!).

I'm coeliac and went to Spain last year for a week's holiday and have to say it was brilliant - I think far better than labelling here!

Everything gluten free is clearly labelled "sin gluten" and they seemed to have far more of a range across different products than we have.

If you can get to a fairly big supermarket you're bound to find bread/cereals/biscuits/pasta etc.

Hope you have a great time - Spain was the first time I'd been abroad since being diagnosed 6 years ago, so I was really nervous about not being able to find stuff to eat, but it was absolutely fine. Ooh and restaurants seem very clued up as well - just say "sin gluten" and they'll sort you out! smile

megandraper Wed 24-Oct-12 08:59:33

I think Bunbaker is right. Have a lovely time. You could look at the gf message board (google it) before you go - lots of tips on gf eating in restaurants and food from shops all over the place. Spain is supposed to be an excellent destination for gf eating. Enjoy!

RunsWithScissors Wed 24-Oct-12 09:01:40

Here's a brilliant site for travelling with allergies-intolerances. I've put a direct link to the English to Spanish translations for you here

talkingnonsense Wed 24-Oct-12 09:30:06

Excellent! Thank you all, and such quick responses! [flowers]

Happygirl77 Wed 24-Oct-12 16:17:22

Sorry to hijack the thread blush but I wonder how the Spanish are with dairy and soy allergies - anyone know?

We're off to Lanzarote next week smile with an allergic baby sad and I'm a bit anxious about how we'll manage! (I've been practising making my own rice milk today, just in case...confused)

trixymalixy Wed 24-Oct-12 22:47:57

Sin gluten.

We just got back from Spain, happygirl. There was loads of choice of soya milk, but I did find both rice and oat milk in Spain. It wasn't in the uht milk section with the soya milk but in a kind of alternative medicine section in a supermarket called Consuma (I think). I have no idea if it'll be the same in the canary islands though.

Happygirl77 Thu 25-Oct-12 09:20:30

trixymalixy thanks so much smile

Pootles2010 Thu 25-Oct-12 09:23:53

What you need is a translation card. My mum got one for when they went to Italy, it says what you're allergic to, and explains about cross-contamination etc. Its size of credit card, and laminated, you just give it to the waiter when you arrive.

This sort of a thing, but just google coeliac travel cards, there's a few sites.

freefrommum Thu 25-Oct-12 10:23:10

The others are right it's definitely 'sin gluten'. I speak Spanish and we have a house in Spain which we visit every year with our coeliac DD and DS allergic to milk, wheat, eggs & nuts. We don't have any problems finding food they can eat in the big supermarkets over there but eating is out is more problematic (same as here!).

I would definitely recommend getting some translation cards off the internet and familiarising yourself with the words for milk/dairy (leche/productos lacteos) and soya (soja) so that you can check the ingredients lists. Obviously Spain is covered by the same EU labelling laws as here so if a product contains any of the 14 EU-agreed allergens then it must be declared in the ingredients.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now