Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone made rice or oat milk?

(8 Posts)
Happygirl77 Tue 23-Oct-12 16:36:51

...and do you have a recipe?

We are going to Lanzarote for the week in half-term smile Ds (9 months) is allergic to dairy and soy and, since he is bf, I am also dairy-free and soy-free.

I have been wondering for months how I would manage without my daily cuppa hmm as I can't imagine there being suitable substitutes in the supermarkets. I had decided I would pack Rice Dream / Oatly in my case and hope for the best...

But I have found some recipes online for homemade rice milk - just wonder if anyone's made it (and if it's bearable...)?!

greenbananas Wed 24-Oct-12 08:34:39

I've never made it, but I might try now that I know making your own is possible smile

However, for your holiday I'd just put some little cartons of the usual in your suitcase. Do you really want to be making rice milk instead of relaxing??

Hope you have a lovely time.

Happygirl77 Wed 24-Oct-12 11:58:58

I'm going to give it a go since dd1 and dd2 are at school/preschool and ds is napping. I'll let you know how I get on!

Unfortunately you can't get little cartons hmm so it'll be big 1litre cartons if I do take some (bit worried about them exploding and leaking everywhere). [Shock] Depending how successful the homemade stuff is, I may resort to that though!

greenbananas Wed 24-Oct-12 12:04:21

ooh yes, let me know how you get on smile

I have seen little cartons of Rice Dream in Holland and Barratt - is there one near you?

bluesky Thu 25-Oct-12 13:47:40

I've tried this one, it's fine. There are some great recipes on this website:

http://www.theintolerantgourmet.com/journal/2012/2/9/homemade-rice-milk.html

The big cartons travel fine, although I did wrap mine in plastic bags, and the small ones are definitely worth finding and taking, I got them from one of the big supermarkets (sorry can't remember which one, it would have been either Sainsburys, Tesco or Waitrose).

babybarrister Thu 25-Oct-12 19:06:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

trixymalixy Thu 25-Oct-12 23:16:31

You can get little cartons of rice dream in Tesco.

We took big cartons of Oatly on one holiday, but wrapped them in cling film and then put in a ziplock bag in case of it bursting.

Isandri Wed 31-Oct-12 22:01:40

I've made rice milk when i ran out of normal milk and had to bake a cake. I can't remember what recipe I used but remember it was really simple and I had to use a hand blender at the end. I might have put it through a sieve at the end. I liked it and it tasted like rice dream which I think is lovely. I googled how to make rice milk and it was one of the first options.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now