Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

17 month old reaction when drinking milk today - advice please

(9 Posts)
flippyfloppy Sun 21-Oct-12 21:06:13

Hi there, my DS was drinking a bottle of milk this afternoon, probaly had 3-4ozs, he pulled off the bottle and toddled around the floor. Within a couple of minutes he came out it really red blotches, they were getting worse so I put him in the car and took him to the local drop in centre. By the time we got there he was worse, torso covered in these blotches and red spots and arms looked sunburnt, they gave him piriton and calpol and within half an hour he was back to normal. They were obsessed with what he had had for lunch (over 4 hours ago) but I am convinced it must have been the milk. I have been too scared to give him his milk at bedtime and he has settled no problem. Funnily enough when I think back I have noticed at times sometimes got blotchy after milk (nothing as bad as today!) but I always assumed it was because he was snuggled in, sucking hard was a bit warm etc. Also, he has had an everlasting cold and a wheeze for about 6 weeks, I have had him to docs several times, chest is clear and they said he is a happy wheezer, just cold and mucus. Having googled milk allergy I wonder if it is linked. Just wondered if anyone can tell me if a toddler can just develop a milk allergy and for those who have toddlers with a milk allergy does this sound like what it is? I'm going to make appointment with GP tomorrow. TIA

BrianButterfield Sun 21-Oct-12 21:15:59

DS (14 months) just started throwing up and having diarrhoea after milk - he's had a cold for ages too. The doctor said they can have temporary post-viral lactose intolerance - I wonder if that could cause the blotches etc?

flippyfloppy Sun 21-Oct-12 21:22:35

Sorry to hear about your DS, thanks for the reply. That is interesting, although from the symptoms today and what was discussed I think this was more of an allergic reaction than an intolerance, I wonder if it could still be a temporary reaction though after a virus??

Maz007 Mon 22-Oct-12 04:48:50

Seeing the GP sounds like the best way forward. I would push for a referral to a Paediatric allergist for testing (as recommended in NICE guidelines). Allergies can develop after seemingly being fine with a food. DS had milk protein allergy and always had hives / swelling around mouth and wherever even the smallest bit of milk touched his skin. Never widespread hives like you describe but he was diagnosed early on so he never had large amounts...
Hope GP is helpful and you get some support / answers soon.
I'd get a bottle of piriton to keep to hand too.

Mishtabel Mon 22-Oct-12 13:52:45

Definitely agree with pushing for a referral to an allergist. A lot of GP's don't seem to be up to speed with allergies. My DD seemed to be ok with dairy (besides a vomit after her first yogurt), as in she could tolerate it in baby cereal, rusks etc. She then, at about 12 months old, had a sudden reaction with swollen eyes/distressed etc. Hospital docs, GP's refused to believe it was from dairy. Following more severe reactions and an allergist appointment, we were issued with Epipens.
Like you, thinking back (and looking back at old photos) I could see she'd often have hives/blotches, but always put it down to something else. Hopefully your DS's IS just viral related though; apparently tolerance to particular foods can decline following times of illness. Good luck

Happygirl77 Mon 22-Oct-12 16:00:35

I feel for you! How scary sad

My ds (9 months) is allergic to dairy. When he ingests it, his skin becomes very spotty and sore and he becomes very wheezy (when carrying him you can feel it rattling) although his chest is clear. He also becomes very congested and bunged up, blocked nose and snuffly, etc.

flippyfloppy Mon 22-Oct-12 20:44:17

Hi there, thanks for your replies. Well I went to GP this morning who said it would not be the milk and that it was a classic food allergy ( showed him pics on iPhone of rash), he said that food allergies can develop between 4 and 24 hours after ingesting and that the fact it came out with Milk was a coincidence. He would not entertain referral and said they cant test for all foods it is a mild reaction and quite common?!?! DS had had mushrooms in a casserole at lunchtime and although he has tried them before Dr thought that was it, he advised to cut them out of diet for few months and reintroduce. Explained cold/wheezing and again just said coincidence. I tried him with milk again this afternoon and so far so good I'll obviously be keeping a close eye and monitoring what he eats closely. Thanks to everyone for taking time to reply.

RationalBrain Thu 25-Oct-12 09:33:04

Your GP is talking utter utter rubbish. Milk is a food, and is one of the most common causes of food allergy. It is highly unlikely to be mushrooms.

I think you have enough ground to push for a second opinion. Have a look at the NICE guidelines on diagnosing food allergies, and the Allergy UK site for more information.

eragon Thu 25-Oct-12 15:11:37

Happygirl, ooh, severe reaction for your baby!

have my fingers crossed for outgrowing for you!

flippyfloppy ring anaphylaxis campaign for nearest name of a pead immunoligst to you, or part time allergy clinic take name to gp and get reffered. this is the only why you will get some peace of mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now