Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Some good news to share...

(8 Posts)
Likeaninjanow Fri 19-Oct-12 13:32:51

DS2 passed his soya challenge grin.

We can't quite believe it. Food shopping is a whole new experience and is taking twice as long as before, as I analyse foods previously banned, but I wouldn't change it for the world!

Bread is SO EASY now.

The only downside is that he was a bit traumatised by the canula in his arm. He's now terrified of hospitals and shakes in fear if I even suggest going in for another challenge. Not sure how to get around that one - anyone any experience of this? They did have some difficulty inserting it, and it took a few attempts.

For those clinging to the hope that this will also happen for their DC, he'll be 5 in November. I know I always like to know the age a child outgrows an allergy smile.

freefrommum Fri 19-Oct-12 13:36:14

That's fantastic news! Congratulations and thanks for sharing. Always nice to hear some good news. I'm always so grateful that my DS is OK with soya because it's in so many of the freefrom foods in place of either milk or wheat so it must make life so much easier for you. Yay!

Can I ask why he had to have a canula in his arm? My DS didn't have this when he had his wheat challenge. Is it standard procedure in your hospital?

Likeaninjanow Fri 19-Oct-12 13:55:33

They said it was standard procedure. I did ask them about it, as I know other people on these boards haven't had to have it. They said they wouldn't do the challenge without it, due to the severity of his previous reactions.

They want to do peas next, then lentils. I think I'll phone and speak to the consultant about it. There's no way I'll get him in there again if they're going to do that to him!

freefrommum Fri 19-Oct-12 14:03:20

Hmm does sound pretty drastic but I guess all hospitals have their own protocols etc. During DS's challenge they monitored his heart rate and temperature all the way through and had adrenalin standing by but definitely no canula despite the severity of his allergies. I think it might be worth speaking to the consultant and explaining your concerns.

Maz007 Sat 20-Oct-12 04:36:12

If there's no way round it I'd suggest 'cannula play' with teddies and playing hospitals etc in the build up to next time. I seem to remember having lots of different toy equipment when I worked with kids in hospital... or asking the hospital to give you a cannula without the needle that you can stick on with masking tape / micropore... Might be worth a go to make it all seem less scary and make him feel more in control if he can be the doctor and think about how to make it less scary for the toy patients?

Fantastic news about the soya btw :-)

Maz007 Sat 20-Oct-12 04:39:26

Oh and I'd demand to know who their top cannula inserter is and demand they do it. There's usually someone on a ward who's got lots of experience with tricky veins and is more likely to get it in first time. Not ok to use him as pin cushion practice if he's traumatised, poor little guy.

Maz007 Sat 20-Oct-12 05:03:31

this link seems to have some nice ideas about hospital play. Hope it helps.

babybarrister Sat 20-Oct-12 21:20:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now