Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

New style Epi-pen - arrggghh!

(13 Posts)
freefrommum Thu 18-Oct-12 11:56:25

Very confused. Ordered 4 replacement epi-pens in August and was half expecting to receive Jext ones as so many on here have said that's what happened to them so had even ordered the free Jext trainer pen in preparation. Was in fact a little disappointed to receive the same old Epi-pens simply because I know that the Jext ones have longer expiry dates and not affected by changes in temperature. Had to order 4 more this month (due to complicated childcare arrangements, we have to have 8!) and was shocked to discover that they've changed the Epi-pens and they look totally different!!! Had complete panic that I wouldn't be able to use it and also that the childminder might freak out about it too. Just went on website and managed to order 2 new trainer pens (only had to pay P&P for £3.90) so feeling a bit happier now. The website also says that they've only changed the look not the method of delivery so I'm hoping that's true (although the safety cap is completely different).

Anyone else had the new ones?

babybarrister Thu 18-Oct-12 13:44:27

Are these the ones with the orange cap and weird shapegrin- dont have them yet - how excitingsmile

Deux Thu 18-Oct-12 13:47:56

Yes I got one this week and amazingly the expiry date is not until 2014!

Normally I'd consider myself lucky if there is 12 months till expiry.

freefrommum Thu 18-Oct-12 13:57:44

Yes they are different shape with blue safety cap and orange tip (to match our orange capes perhaps babybarrister?) plus a little window on the side to obsess over check that it hasn't gone cloudy. And yes the expiry date is Jan 2014 - amazing! I will let you know how I get on with the new trainer pen...

freefrommum Mon 22-Oct-12 09:21:12

OK so new trainer pens arrived very quickly. Good news is the basic method of delivery is in fact the same, ie remove the cap, swing from approx. 10cm and jab into the thigh until you hear the click. Here are my thoughts:

Positives: Longer expiry date, come in own 'tough tubes' (so no need to pay extra for these anymore), chunkier & easier to hold, window to check that contents hasn't gone cloudy, after use needle will NOT be exposed (new orange tip covers needle after use).

Negatives: Look very different so quite worrying when you first get them, new cap is a bit fiddly in my opinion (but I like the blue colour), quite difficult to fit 2 into my Yellow Cross pouch due to increased size, really wish they didn't still have to be kept at a certain temp (not too warm, not too cold) like Jext but I guess you can't have everything grin

Overall, I think they are definitely an improvement but people should be warned about the changes and provided with trainer pens and details instructions so that they don't feel caught out.

CouthyMowEatingBraiiiiinz Fri 26-Oct-12 01:34:45

Oh, how do you order Jext training pens? DS3 got his Jext yesterday, I had Jext training, but his dad (my ex) hasn't. A trainer pen would be handy.

babybarrister Fri 26-Oct-12 05:53:37

Just google jext and they have a section where you can order them for freegrin

MidnightinMoscow Thu 01-Nov-12 13:47:40

They are great, love the no needle exposure and the longer shelf life.

Was given a really good info pack with them too.

freefrommum Thu 01-Nov-12 14:12:00

With Jext or new Epi-pens MidnightinMoscow?

MidnightinMoscow Thu 01-Nov-12 15:36:18

With Jext.

freefrommum Thu 01-Nov-12 18:41:12

Ah, that explains why I didn't get a 'really good info pack' then!

MidnightinMoscow Fri 02-Nov-12 07:17:54

It was part of the pack that the practice nurse gave me at the dr's surgery.

freefrommum Fri 02-Nov-12 08:42:42

Ours was a repeat prescription as DS has had epi-pens for a couple of years now. However, I do think that if manufacturers change their product drastically they should provide good information about the changes and pharmacists should also be able to give guidance on the new products. I know that this is something the Anaphylaxis Campaign are looking into at the moment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now