Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

horse allergy???

(7 Posts)
nearlyreadytopop Tue 16-Oct-12 20:30:25

DS had a reaction (hives, eyes swollen shut, face swelling) at the weekend. Luckily we had our epi pens (egg allergy confirmed a few months ago). The only thing we can think off was he had contact for the first time with a horse. Im waiting on hearing from the allergy clinic but im just wondering if its likely to be a horse allergy and if so should we push for testing for other animal allergies?

BloooCowWonders Tue 16-Oct-12 20:38:21

Sounds very like a horse allergy.
I react badly to horses and to cats too

tazzle22 Tue 16-Oct-12 20:47:56

Its certainly possible, I know of several people, including my own grandaughter, that are allergic to horses in varying degrees. I have a horse and my GD loves everything to do with her. Most of the time she is not too bad as long as she takes piriton before she goes to the yard.

I have seen someone ok as long as they also wore a face bask to filter out the hair etc.

As to other animals..... if DS is so allergic need an epi then prb wise to monitor contact with other animals although they might test ... I dont know. My DGD is fine with dogs and cats so it possible to be just allergic to one species.

At least horses are easy to avoid ...... well unless one is very keen on them and wants to seek them out lol

XBenedict Tue 16-Oct-12 20:50:31

DS was allergic to eggs but has recently been challenged and seems to have grown out of it.

He is also allergic to horses, reacts in the same way with urticaria all over his body.

We have 2 cats & 2 guinea pigs and he doesn't have a problem with them.

HappyTurquoise Tue 16-Oct-12 20:51:25

I've met lots of people with horse allergies too.

nearlyreadytopop Tue 16-Oct-12 21:21:30

tazzle, sigh, in my plans ponies featured heavily in his future lol. My old mare was put to sleep when DS was in the bump and I was waiting until he was up a bit before jumping in again. Off all the things for him to be allergic too...

nearlyreadytopop Tue 16-Oct-12 21:26:06

we have two mini schnauzers that get cuddled on a pretty regular basis, but according to internet this breed is considered to be allergy friendly as they don't cast. Ds has not had contact with cats or other breeds of dog. I suppose they will go onto the 'must avoid' list until we can be certain.
I wonder is it possible to grow out of a horse allergy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now