Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I need cheap dinner ideas without dairy, soya or tomato!

(25 Posts)
PeggyCarter Tue 16-Oct-12 17:33:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PeggyCarter Tue 16-Oct-12 19:09:51

shrinkingnora Tue 16-Oct-12 19:13:58

Lentil and buckwheat slice? Very cheap and delicious.

PeggyCarter Tue 16-Oct-12 19:15:33

shrinkingnora Tue 16-Oct-12 19:16:53

Falafels with pitta and salad.
We make a tuna fish kedgeree type thing which might be good.

shrinkingnora Tue 16-Oct-12 19:18:23

apologies for the link bizarrely that was the first to come up!

shrinkingnora Tue 16-Oct-12 19:20:27

Lentil soup is fab and filling and very cheap. What things are you having at the moment and how old are the DC? I'm feeling quite inspired food wise at the moment!

Illgetmycoat Tue 16-Oct-12 19:23:47

- Salmon/white fish with rice and peas with sweet chilli sauce
- Pesto pasta
- Pitta pockets with a pick and mix of cucumber/ salad/ chicken/ carrots etc to choose from

You have my sympathy, I have to cook for a nut-allergic child, a vegetarian 11 year old and a husband who won't eat any fat / tomatoes or quorn. Menu planning is a nightmare.

PeggyCarter Tue 16-Oct-12 19:28:19

IceBergJam Tue 16-Oct-12 19:28:46

Lentil dhal with spinach and rice? I think that can be made with no tomatoes.

Pasta, garlic, olive oil with peas. Add cheese to those not intolerant.

Homemade burgers

Homemade meat balls. Exclude tomato sauce for son.

Stews with cheap cuts of meat or beans

Meat loaf

Turkey burgers

Turkey stirfry

Omelette or frittata (we use roasted roots from sunday lunch , so potato, parsnip, onions, carrots)

Hearty soups (lentil and carrot, leek and potato, pea and ham, sweet potato and split pea)

Homemade pizza just adapt recipe and topping.

PeggyCarter Tue 16-Oct-12 19:28:52

shrinkingnora Tue 16-Oct-12 19:30:46

This looks good and fits the criteria.

Periodically I sit down and make a list of every meal I can think of in each category eg meat based, fish based, chicken based, veggie and then look at how you can adapt them to fit dietary requirements. It's hard enough making it interesting without the allergies to contend with.

Allalonenow Tue 16-Oct-12 19:32:16

Fish pie, use cheap frozen fish mix, make the sauce with fish or vegetable stock.
Pasta with any combination of cooked peas courgette broadbeans asparagus or uncooked baby spinach or rocket or baby chard, add a squeeze of lemon or a splash of oil if liked.
Spanish omelette

PeggyCarter Tue 16-Oct-12 19:37:37

Shelium Tue 16-Oct-12 19:46:16

we make a "kiddies" fish pie with tuna. it is basically mashed potato with tuna and sweetcorn mashed through it. For extra taste add some mustard, for extra moisture when you cannot use milk/butter, use some of the water you drain from the potatoes.

You can add any veg to this dish, we sometimes make it with sweet potato, sometimes we top with both tomatoes and cheese (though obviously you couldn't), sometimes we put broccoli, or asparagus through it. lovely comfort food.

Gnocci is another good meal, boil first then fry so it goes lovely and crispy, add chopped sage and sweet potato chunks.

Risotto? You do not need to add parmesan to make it taste good, though i have a feeling you can buy vegan "parmesan" if you miss it, we ofen make a chicken or sausage risotto without cheese - just make sure it has other aded herbs/spices for a bit of flavour. OR we make a pea and prawn risotto which would taste horrible with cheese.

KatyMac Tue 16-Oct-12 19:52:12

Chicken Risotto
Kedgeree

Do you make pastry with lard & an egg?

Allalonenow Tue 16-Oct-12 19:52:44

TheJoyful, substitute milk with fish or veg stock, substitute margarine for butter, then make the sauce just as you used to.

PeggyCarter Tue 16-Oct-12 20:21:13

Allalonenow Tue 16-Oct-12 21:07:38

TheJoyful, You might want to add some herbs to make it tasty, or if you use an oat milk substitute for dairy, I think you can cook with that also, so you can just use that instead of milk. A bit of trial and error will soon get you to a method you are happy with.
Once you have mastered your non dairy white sauce it will open up lots of possibilities for you, chicken and mushroom pie or chicken supreme with rice, Pasta Alfredo, are all made from scraps of left over chicken.
Have a look on the website of the oat milk product, sorry I do not know its name, I'm sure there will be lots of ideas there to help you.
Enjoy!!

PS Don't forget vegetable/meat stirfry, but no tofu.

mmmmmchocolate Tue 16-Oct-12 21:25:33

My Dd also has tomato issues. I make a chilli or a bolognaise but I substitute the canned tomatoes for jars of red peppers (cheap in Lidl)

Will your dc's eat a curry made with curry paste and coconut milk? Jars of paste last ages in the fridge (a korma or Thai paste is less likely to contain toms)

My dc's missed meatballs too so now I use Jamie Oliver's Swedish meatball recipe (just google) the sauce is lemon juice, beef stock and cream (which I'm pretty sure you can get dairy free cream? Sorry I don't know much about dairy free.

Salmon and pesto pasta.

Hope these are helpful. Cutting out tomato was so hard in the beginning but I don't have to think about it much now. My DD misses beans though!

moomintash Tue 16-Oct-12 21:33:35

Mine like Chicken or Salmon(Buy frozen as it's cheaper) Cut in cubes, little olive oil on it, roll in breadcrumbs then bake in oven at about 200c for 10 to 15 mins. We have ours in pitta with basic salad, but they could go with anything you like.

mumat39 Wed 17-Oct-12 21:15:57

Hello OP.

Is it all forms of tomato? My dd was funny with mottoes for a while, even canned but I started to add just a teeny dot of Tom purée to food and now she can eat a normal amount of Tomato purée. I still avoid tomatoes as she's very
Allergic to lots of foods and tomatoes are naturally high in histamine.
I asked her allergy dietician about why she is ok with purée but funny with tomatoes. She said that some people just react more to certain types of tomato but are fine with others. Tomato purée is 'nuked' as she put it which makes it ok for aloof people who can't tolerate tomato.

When my dd couldn't eat tomato I used to cook dove farm wf/gf pasta with chopped up pieces of fried chicken. It was really dry but she liked it.

I'm not sure if this helps and apologies if you already know all this. It was news to me so thought I'd share it.

Good luck with finding good alternatives. Actually I remember seeing something like a tomato replacement thing so I'll try and find it and will post back if I do.

Take care
Xxx

mumat39 Wed 17-Oct-12 21:21:21

Hello again. I can't find the other hing I was thing of but this recipe looks like it could be a nice tasty alternative. A nice colour too smile

PeggyCarter Wed 17-Oct-12 21:38:17

mumat39 Wed 17-Oct-12 23:26:31

I only use tomato purée and if she can already have that then that's great as it's really good in things like mince dishes, or even curries.

When I started giving Dd purée, I used just a bit and then over about 4-5 months managed a tablespoon. Now I can squirt a whole tube into a batch of cooking and sometimes a tube and a half. I use the waitrose essentials one. I tried the waitrose organic one but that wasn't so good.

I've just read back what I wrote. I don't notice my spellchecker correcting me, so

Mottoes = tomatoes
Aloof = a lot
iPad = stupid grin

Take care
Xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now