Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Egg replacer

(9 Posts)
tjbhrj Tue 02-Oct-12 09:05:51

Hi,
My son (10) is allergic to eggs and nuts. In his food tech lessons at school he will be making cakes later in the term. I've offered to send in some egg replacer for him to use, and he'll be kept away from the other children (I have no worries about this - his teacher is great, and he is rapidly growing out of his egg allergy anyway).
DS would much rather take in egg replacer as he'll be the "same" as his friends (using the same recipe anyway), rather than making a separate egg free recipe for the cakes.
In the past, I've always used Allergy care egg free omelette mix as an egg replacer in cakes with fantastic results. However, everywhere is out of stock and listing this as temporarily unavailable. Does anyone have any recommendations for other egg replacers that actually work in sponge cakes? I tried orgran no egg in the past, and it was terrible....

Many thanks!
TJ

RuleBritannia Tue 02-Oct-12 17:01:32

Look at Madhuram's Eggless Cake Recipe and you might find one that's similar to your proposed lesson recipe.

If you have time to wait a few days for a package to arrive, look at Egg Replacer on the internet and it will come up with several suggestions. You will have to send off for some of them though.

tjbhrj Tue 02-Oct-12 19:53:47

Thanks - I have a few weeks, and have found several other possibilities on the web, but I was hoping that someone had tried them and could advise on which actually work in sponge cakes.

Anyone any ideas?
TJ

Pyjamadonkey Tue 02-Oct-12 20:04:34

Shs lowprofin low protein egg replacer or EnerG egg replacer.

but if you believe he is outgrowing his egg allergy he should tolerate egg in cakes or biscuits as this is the "most denatured" form of egg and hence most tolerated form?
What makes you think he is outgrowing the allergy?

babybarrister Tue 02-Oct-12 20:11:40

I have used EnerG - it is ok but don't expect miracles!

tjbhrj Tue 02-Oct-12 20:56:25

Thanks both.

Pyjamadonkey - he can tolerate eggs in cakes, pancakes, egg pasta, yorkshires, waffles, croissants, mars bars and the list goes on, and he eats all of these regularly.... He is loads better than he used to be with uncooked egg - large teaspoon of mayo in a sandwich only gave him a tingly mouth the last time he was tested, (and this is an improvement from an analphylactic reaction when he was a baby).

The issue is he still gets hives when raw egg is touched on his skin. He's not the tidiest or neatest of boys, and I think that if he was cooking with raw egg he would end up with hives in various places, where he'd splashed himself - not dangerous, but not particularly pleasant either, so I'd rather he made an egg free recipe. Does that make sense?

Many thanks for the recommendations!

TJ

Pyjamadonkey Tue 02-Oct-12 21:32:21

Makes perfect sense, I hadn't thought of the problem of handling raw egg during baking. Hope he outgrows it soon

Maz007 Wed 03-Oct-12 22:04:23

I've used Orgran egg replacer which is easy to get hold of and baked lots of different cakes all of which have come out really reasonably... Top tip is to base line the tin and let it cool a bit before turning out as they tend to stay together better that way. Good luck to him!

What's the omelette mix like btw? DD is allergic to egg and I've wondered if it's worth a try...

tjbhrj Thu 04-Oct-12 07:10:17

Thanks Maz

I must admit I've never tried the omelette mix as an omelette, to be honest to me that sounded just really weird! (probably my own prejudices though). I did find it made excellent sponge cakes though, and reasonable yorkshires.

TJ

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now