Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chickpea and Lentil challenge

(6 Posts)
Jemstone Sat 29-Sep-12 12:58:55

Hi,

My son has a food challenge for lentils and chickpeas on Monday. I have to take food in with me and I'm stumped, I have no idea what he'll like. Any ideas on what I could cook that he'll like. Also does anyone know if it makes a difference if I use green or red lentils, all his reactions to lentils have been at nursery and confirmed with skin prick tests so I don't know what colour lentils they gave him. He's also allergic to sesame and has a challenge for that in a few weeks, although I'm not expecting him to pass...

All thoughts/experiences welcome.

thanks

Piffpaffpoff Sat 29-Sep-12 13:04:16

Lentil and veg soup in a flask? Lentil soup always gave my DS a reaction quickly. Can't help with chickpeas suggestions I'm afraid. Good luck for Monday.

eragon Sat 29-Sep-12 15:04:03

so, the allergies are confirmed? but look like outgrowing? is that why he is having a food challenge.

I would bring a selection of lentils and chick peas in seperate tupperware containers in case they have some thing to mix it in.

if you make a soup have an ingriedent list to show the docs that it all contains non cross contaminated food. iyswim.

if your child can eat yogurt with fruit lumps can you mash a chick pea in it?

perhaps he will be able to eat it non hidden, in small amounts that build up. so half a chick pea , then whole one than a portion etc.

freefrommum Sat 29-Sep-12 20:32:15

Could you make your own hummus with chick peas? Do you think he'd eat that? Or some sort of soup or casserole with chick peas?

Good luck, I hope the challenge goes well.

Jemstone Sat 29-Sep-12 20:58:41

Thanks for the suggestions, I never thought of soup, too used to trying to avoid the ingredients. Think I'll take some in flasks as well as lentils and chickpeas by themselves.

We're having the challenge because he hadn't had a reaction for over 2 years and all previous reactions were at nursery (so only have what they've said about how bad hives etc are) His skin prick and blood tests showed only a small reaction (1mm wheal) and he's never had anything worse than hives from eating the food. I'd love for him to pass the challenge as it makes school dinners so much easier. Not confident though and I don't trust the test results, his sesame was always very small or non existent on the skin prick test until about 3 months ago when they tested it again with tahini and he had a wheal which was 15mm

SeventhEverything Sat 29-Sep-12 21:01:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now