Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Confused over dairy free or lacto free-trying out ds on diet to see if asthma improves-confused over what to do.

(7 Posts)
ArcticRoll Tue 25-Sep-12 18:20:48

My ds has recently had several bad asthma attacks and he also has IBS so am looking at his diet again. I had been giving him lacto free milk and cutting out all other types of dairy but now confused thinking that maybe should drop the lacto free milk as it is still cow's milk-I'd be really grateful for any advice, thanks.

pinkpaperpiggy Tue 25-Sep-12 18:22:30

I think the lacto free milk is for people with lactose intolerance.

If someone has a dairy allergy it is the protein in the milk they are allergic to and that would still be present in lacto-free milk.

Wheresmycaffeinedrip Tue 25-Sep-12 18:54:01

I would drop all dairy as all the stuff that's possibly linked is contained in the milk not just the lactose. If he is under four don't give rice milk and as you have a ds I would suggest that KAra coconut milk would be a better option for cereal. And as a drink. Comes in chocolate flavour too. grin Your local health store should be able to order you in suitable yogurts and ice cream. smile

Ferrybridge Tue 25-Sep-12 19:00:18

How old is your DS? When I suggested trying this for DS2 when he was about 2yo, my GP told me it was dangerous to try without medical supervision. Something to do with extreme reactions when re-introducing foods. He seemed to think restricting DS2's diet could make any minor intolerances worse. I'm sure you have, but have you spoken to your doctor? Is he helping you with a diet plan or any guidance? He should be!

ArcticRoll Tue 25-Sep-12 19:49:32

Thanks for all replies-he is thirteen years old, will now look at cutting out dairy completely.He has seen NHS dietitian who to be honest was a bit useless!

freefrommum Wed 26-Sep-12 16:44:03

As others have said, you will need to cut out dairy completely to really see if it makes a difference. As Ferrybridge says, be careful if/when you decide to reintroduce because when humans stop eating dairy they stop producing the enzyme (lactase) that breaks down lactose in the gut and therefore become temporarily lactose intolerant. The enzyme is produced on a supply and demand basis so if you haven't had any lactose for a while you won't be producing the enzyme. This may well mean that your DS will experience some tummy pain and/or diarrohea on reintroduction but this should settle down once the gut starts producing lactase again. Hope that makes sense.

ArcticRoll Wed 26-Sep-12 16:49:29

freefrommum-thanks-have now swapped lacto-free for almond milk and avoiding all dairy. I am also making sure he is gluten free-will see if this helps.
We are seeing endinocronologist as his growth has slowed right down and I am wondering whether it may be linked to food intolerances.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now