Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Feel stupid - I can give DS nuts that he hasn't tested allergic to, right? I'm not brave enough!

(14 Posts)
IHeartKingThistle Tue 25-Sep-12 15:55:13

DS (3) is allergic to peanuts, pistachios and cashews. He had no allergy markers for other nuts. His reactions are skin-based only - rashes and eczema flare-ups etc, never anything scary.

So tell me I'm being an idiot and that I CAN put walnuts in my banana bread.

CajaDeLaMemoria Tue 25-Sep-12 15:56:19

In theory you can, if he's been tested for other nuts and not proved allergic to them...

Although he's biologically more likely to react to other nuts too, so it's a bit of a risk, and I'd probably be too much of a wimp.

IHeartKingThistle Tue 25-Sep-12 16:00:50

That's exactly it. Think I might wimp out on this one!

AngelDog Sun 30-Sep-12 21:41:40

I wouldn't give him the bread, but would try the nut as long as I had the AHs on standby and the car ready to take him to A&E.

2.9 y.o. DS is allergic to hazelnuts & peanuts (eczema and skin reactions only) and the paediatrician we see said I should give him other nuts which had negative test results. I didn't for ages, but then I did try cashews (I was desperate as DS would barely eat any form of protein). Now he eats cashew nut butter about every day and it's been really useful, and we've expanded his repertoire to almonds as well.

I did start by just putting some on his skin, though, rather than getting him to eat it.

IHeartKingThistle Sun 30-Sep-12 21:59:45

Great ideas Angel, thanks.

I'm a bit worried about how to explain it to him though - so far he knows 'nuts make me scratchy'. Will I confuse him if I introduce some nuts? I don't want him eating the 'wrong' nuts because I've confused him.

AngelDog Mon 01-Oct-12 08:05:38

I don't think so - I explained to DS that we knew that certain nuts annoyed his eczema but we weren't sure about these ones, so we were going to test them out.

We started out telling him that he's allergic to nuts, whereas now he's able to tell you that it's hazelnuts and peanuts he's allergic to. We've tended to say 'nuts make your eczema sore, apart from cashews and almonds' so it's clear.

It's easy for us though as he's a bit younger, doesn't go to nursery or childcare, and has separation anxiety which means he won't be left with anyone other than parents or grandparents.

AngelDog Mon 01-Oct-12 08:05:38

I don't think so - I explained to DS that we knew that certain nuts annoyed his eczema but we weren't sure about these ones, so we were going to test them out.

We started out telling him that he's allergic to nuts, whereas now he's able to tell you that it's hazelnuts and peanuts he's allergic to. We've tended to say 'nuts make your eczema sore, apart from cashews and almonds' so it's clear.

It's easy for us though as he's a bit younger, doesn't go to nursery or childcare, and has separation anxiety which means he won't be left with anyone other than parents or grandparents.

BeingFluffy Mon 01-Oct-12 08:14:28

We were told at the allergy clinic NOT to give DD any nuts - even the ones that DD did not react to. That was a few years ago so it is possible that advice has changed since, but I would check with a doctor and assess the risks before doing so.

butterfingerz Mon 01-Oct-12 12:15:03

My DS is only allergic to peanuts, no reaction to any other nut on his allergy test but our consultant advised to avoid all nuts. He said it makes life simpler and said theres a high risk of cross contamination due to processing methods.

My DS is high risk of anaphylaxis though, so if it's a milder allergy, I probably would give him the 'safe' nuts.

heliotrope Tue 02-Oct-12 13:26:25

For us we are advised to avoid all, even 'may contain traces' / 'processed in the same factory as'. This is probably because my DS tends to vomit and has had one reaction involving airway restriction, so now more of an anaphylaxis risk.
He is allergic to brazil and hazelnuts.
I don't fully follow their advice, e.g. he was eating crunchy nut cornflakes (which are peanut) before we had any nut reactions, so have continued. I also use judgement - would use ground almonds for example in my own cooking, when he's eating with us. I know there is a risk there (from cross-contamination apparently) but this is what I feel happy doing as don't want to restrict him even further (already no milk, egg, fish).
If it was just an eczema reaction I would try to keep other nuts in, but do be careful as new allergies can develop from nowhere in allergic children - e.g. I am absolutely sure DS ate hazel nuts more than once, before becoming allergic at nearly 5yo. His reactions have also changed from hives/puffy to sick/wheeze / airway restriction so you need to be careful always.

IHeartKingThistle Tue 02-Oct-12 14:39:59

God the whole thing's terrifying isn't it sad

Thanks so much for sharing all these ideas and experiences, I really appreciate it.

ILoveLemonCurd Tue 02-Oct-12 15:30:57

My DD is/was allergic to peanuts. We were told that she could have other nuts if we shelled them ourselves to reduce the risk of cross contamination. So that's an option if you do a lot of baking.

I do let her have Nutella though as she had had it before with no adverse effects.

NatashaBee Tue 02-Oct-12 15:39:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumat39 Mon 15-Oct-12 17:00:00

My DD is allergic to bloody loads of things and I've spent the last few years not feeding her anything other than what I know she's ok with. She is also allergic to nuts and had a really big skin prick test reaction to peanuts, cashew,pistachio,almonds and Brazil nuts, so we were advised to avoid all nuts.

If you are worried, the def speak to our allergy nurse or doctor and if you're still worried, ask for the nuts you're thinking of to be tested in the allergy clinic.

Good luck and fingers crossed they're ok and that your DS doesn't react to them.
Xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now