Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Traveling abroad with 11mth old with Cows Milk Allergy

(6 Posts)
tesremos Mon 24-Sep-12 20:35:36

We are off on our hols at the end of Oct for the first time with DS2 who has a cows milk allergy. We are going to Turkey and have contacted the tour rep to see if they can get us some soya milk and butter but am waiting to hear back. Can anyone offer any advice for traveling abroad with child with allergy? What can we take in hand luggage/suitcase? What are we likely to be able to get over there? Am already starting to feel very worried about how we are going to manage!! :-/

BigFatLegsInWoolyTIghts Mon 24-Sep-12 23:26:49

Can you not take some with you? It's only Turkey...you could take a cool bag....a small one. Or call a local supermarket and check if they stock soya milk?

BigFatLegsInWoolyTIghts Mon 24-Sep-12 23:28:33

Here is a link to a convo on another site where they discuss where to buy soya milk in Turkey...one user takes her own as it's expensive out there...

here

They get it in a shop called Migros which is a chain.

tesremos Tue 25-Sep-12 09:09:52

Thanks smile yes did see this convo, was a bit concerned as was a couple of years ago now?! Hopefully they will still stock it! I am assuming the soya milk will be the easiest thing to get hold of...am more concerned about what will be able to give him to eat I think. Was hoping people might be able to suggest what items will travel well? I was thinking if worst came to worst we could pack a carton of soya milk in suitcase and put it in a tupaware box to 'protect it'...anyone know if cabin pressure would affect it? X

freefrommum Tue 25-Sep-12 10:23:00

It is doable I promise! My DS is allergic to milk, wheat, eggs and nuts and we travel to Spain regularly. I have to admit that we do take quite a lot of food with us but that's because his combination of allergies does make it quite difficult to find food he can eat. I would definitely recommend getting hold of some translation cards before you go so that you can show them in restaurants etc plus it will help when reading food labels in the supermarkets. There are plenty available online. Obviously the rules about taking liquids in your hand luggage do limit you to just 100ml but if you have a letter from your consultant and contact the airport in advance you may be allowed to take more, although you will have to taste it yourself at security. Personally I would make sure you have plenty of 'safe' foods in both your hand luggage eg sandwiches, fruit, snacks etc. I also take small ring-pull tins of ham (Asda do one), crackers, small jars of sandwich paste (and small butter knife), fruit squeezy pouches (make sure they are 100ml so ok to take through security in clear ziplock bag), breakfast cereal (pack enough for the holiday in your suitcase if I were you). The carton of soya milk should be fine in a tupperware box in the suitcase. It might expand slightly in transit but that's all.

babybarrister Tue 25-Sep-12 18:15:00

It will be fine - everything is doable - I have taken oat milk to latAm as well as all over Europe ! Enjoy and remember to take doctors letters re taking extra food with you on the plane smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now