Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gluten free ready meals

(19 Posts)
twofalls Thu 09-Aug-12 11:54:59

My friend's DH is going to be in hospital a lot over the next 6 months. She has a 6 year old and a small baby. I will cook some meals for her but I was wondering if there is a company/range that does really nice gluten free ready meals? We are thinking of having a whip round and I was thinking of buying Waitrose vouchers but I am not sure they will help much if most ready meals are full of gluten?

Any advice much appreciated. Just thinking of practical ways to help. Thanks

CMOTDibbler Thu 09-Aug-12 13:10:33

Unfortunatly most ready meals that aren't curry aren't gluten free.

Vouchers is a lovely idea, so if theres an M&S food store she'd be passing on the way to the hospital, or a coffee shop like Costa or Starbucks, then that will let her pick up bits of nice food, or a snack with the kids (she can get a gf sandwich and cake in M&S or Starbucks) without worrying about the cost, I'm sure that would be most appreciated

twofalls Thu 09-Aug-12 13:16:43

That is what I feared. But M&S is agood idea. We are getting itunes for her DH.

elliebug Thu 09-Aug-12 13:17:45

I think Tesco have just started doing some, don't know what they taste like though!!

PeggyCarter Thu 09-Aug-12 13:22:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

talkingnonsense Thu 09-Aug-12 13:24:59

I haven't seen gf sandwiches in m and s or Starbucks, only cake. Asda do a couple of gluten free frozen meals but the one I tried wasn't great. Curry and rice, or trad meal with pots is your best bet. She might appreciate some gluten free oatckades/ crackers/ biscuits for hospital snacking. It's v lovely of you to be so thought fuel.

CMOTDibbler Thu 09-Aug-12 13:29:23

The current Starbucks gf sandwich is cheese and coleslaw (it changes every two months), and M&S is cheese and pickle. Waitrose do do GF sarnies too, but you most often see them in their small stores at motorway services - think its egg or prawn atm. Starbucks always have gf ones

I spend a lot of time out on the road, so am well acquainted with whats availabke in store.

freefrommum Thu 09-Aug-12 15:52:32

That's handy to know, thanks CMOTDibbler. My DD is coeliac and we do struggle sometimes when out and about.

silverfrog Thu 09-Aug-12 18:34:48

have a look at Chef on Board ready meals.

we just had some delivered to us as a new-baby present, and some of them are marked gluten free (noticed because dh's lovely workmates had ensured they were dairy free (dh is dairy intolerant) and then we were happy to see that there was the odd one which we could share with the dds (who are gf)

I had a quick look at the website, and not sure if the meals are ordered as to allergies on there, but obviously the company are happy to help, as our bundle of meals were all df.

silverfrog Thu 09-Aug-12 18:36:31

oh, meant to say - all meals are delivered frozen. all very efficient with ice packs etc, but obv someone needs to be in to receive the parcel.

twofalls Thu 09-Aug-12 19:55:05

Thanks everyone! Silver frog, what are they like?

silverfrog Thu 09-Aug-12 20:09:22

delicious!

if I am very picky, I would say the meat is a little fatty, but that is all. and even then, it is a lovely bit of diced lamb (for eg) whichhas not been as well trimmed at the edges as I would (but I am very fussy about this) and not manky chewy/gristly/fatty meat

but the recipes are lovely, and very tasty indeed. portion size quite good too (we have a freezer full of the individual meals, n ot sure bout the family sized portions)

denialandpanic Fri 10-Aug-12 19:10:11

amys kitchen do a nice g/f burrito and macaroni cheese. I haven't tried the rest of the range. available in tescos and sainsburys. All veggie. Waitrose do g/f egg salad and prawn mayo both surprisingly good

denialandpanic Fri 10-Aug-12 19:11:31

http://amyskitchen.co.uk/news/amys-news

denialandpanic Fri 10-Aug-12 19:12:25

quite a bit of the cook range is gluten free but I think they mights just be in the southeast? http://www.cookfood.net/

plant2plate Tue 14-Aug-12 08:58:13

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

youngmum89 Tue 23-Oct-12 12:18:47

Yeah COOK do some lovely Gluten Free ready meals - a lot of them are curries (thai and indian) and some Moroccan dishes that are really nice as well. Shops are mostly in the south east but they do home delivery too!

Maz007 Tue 23-Oct-12 20:27:22

Some miniscoff for kids are gluten free. They are delicious - Waitrose stock them.

You are a kind friend :-)

auntpetunia Sun 28-Oct-12 16:53:04

having just come back from the Free From Convention in Liverpool today I would recommend kirsty's they had a stall at the show and the samples we tried were gorgeous, we tried, spanish chicken, and tikka massala. They have a wide range of gluten free ready meals, which i was told are available from sainsbury's in the chiller cabinets by the weightwatchers ready meals and at the moment they are on special offer and cost £1.89 I think she said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now