Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can anyone recommend Chocolate that is okay for a nut allergic child, please?

(17 Posts)
mumat39 Fri 04-May-12 14:17:42

Hello. I'm finding it more and more difficult to get hold of kinnerton chocolate so was wondering if there are any others that are safe for your nut allergic kids. Dd is allergic to many things including Soya but is fine with soya lecithin.

Are there any others or is it just kinnerton, which is very expensive.

Many Thanks

mumat39 Fri 04-May-12 14:27:20

Sorry. managed to ask this twice. confused

mintyneb Fri 04-May-12 14:42:54

try Plamil. Some of their flavours of chocolate contain soya flour while the rest carry the message that they MAY contain soya. All seem to have the message that they are nut free.

I have 3 different flavours in the cupboard at the moment but haven't yet tried them. All I know is the 'white' chocolate doesn't melt well (was trying to use it on a cake decoration!)

You can get them on line and also at Holland and Barrat I think

Jammygal Fri 04-May-12 17:47:41

Galaxy possibly
Cad urys choc buttons

Am not sure about soya though!

It's nut free do chocolate too online

StealthPolarBear Fri 04-May-12 17:52:07

thought M&S had a nut free promise
not sure thoug

Jammygal Fri 04-May-12 17:53:26

Not any more polar bear!

StealthPolarBear Fri 04-May-12 20:04:18

That's Crap! doesn't affect me, but m&s always stuck in my mind for this reason

londonmum123 Fri 04-May-12 20:52:19

Plamil is good. I buy the 1kg catering bags. They used to do a chocolate orange one which was fab but not seen it on their website recently. The bags I currently have are the "easy melt" variety and the white one melts nicely. Probably comparable in price to Kinnerton though.

mamado Sat 05-May-12 09:24:16

Some moo free seem to be nut free but not all (ie buttons may contain)

otherwise the humdingers free from buttons are safely nut free (Tesco's) as are celtic chocs from Holland and barratt

I think the own brand sainsbury's and tesco ones are also nut free

Waitrose is good for buying Kinnerton. Also try the vegan store online for allergy friendly chocs - the ingredients should say if they may contain traces of nut

mumat39 Mon 07-May-12 22:30:03

Thanks everyone.

I knew about M&S not selling Kinnerton chocs anymore, or maybe they still are but have gone down the liability limitation route and labelled theirs as not being suitable for a nut allergy.

At Easter I was really excited to see a pack of kinnerton solid choc mini eggs. But the label stated that they were not suitable for a nut allergy confused

I have looked at Plamil before but thought they contained Soya Flour, but I'll have another look.

I tend to get kinnerton from our local 99p store but they seem to stock this as part of seasonal stuff like easter eggs and advent calenders.

Waitrose do sometime have the single lollies of milk choc but they're about 60p each. SO expensive.

Thanks for your help.

mumat39 Mon 07-May-12 22:44:53

Londonmum, hello again. Hope you're well.

Do Plamil do any chocolates with milk in them? I couldn't see any one their website?

I have started to give DD dairy and she has some kinnerton milk choc at the moment so I'm not looking for a dairy free one. Do you know if they do a milk choc one.

Jammygal, I think Galaxy has a may contain wheat warning. DD is allergic to wheat, eggs, legumes(incl peanuts and soya), sesame, rapeseed oil, ginger plus a few others that I can;t think of right now so I'm trying to avoid all of these too. Sorry, I should have mentioned the other things on my OP. I'll have another look at Galaxy though so thanks for replying.

londonmum123 Tue 08-May-12 20:57:20

Hi again mumat39 all fine here thanks. Sorry, I had forgotten that your daughter is not allergic to milk - she's allergic to quite a list and I thought milk was one of them. Plamil is vegan, however, their factory is dairy/wheat/gluten/nut free so thought it might be good for your daughter as she is super-sensitive to traces isn't she?

On a completely different topic, did you manage to make gluten free bread in the end?

chullah Tue 08-May-12 21:01:33

Can I ask a quick question whilst on this subject and therefore have knowledgable people around ?!

I have a nut allergy but not sure if this has been passed on to my two DDs? What is the best way to find out - I obviously don't want to make them I'll, aged 3 and 1, but would like to know for future ref, telling others etc.

mumat39 Tue 08-May-12 21:09:03

Hey londonmum

How are you and your DD doing? I nearly mentioned that I've got nowhere with making wheat free bread on my previous reply to you . I sent that breadmaker back and haven't had a chance to look into it again.

You have a good memory! DD has been having bits of milk for a while now (in kinnerton chocolate) and we recently started giving her small bits of cheese and yogurt. I'm now trying to get her off nutramigen and onto cows milk. I've managed an ounce so far and am going to 2 oz's tomorrow and will do that for a week before going up again. Last time I tried we got to 3 oz's per bottle and she started to get a funny tummy so was told to stop again.

ANyway, so I'm keen to keep giving her dairy esp in the chocolate as it's handy to have it as an option esp as she's never had sweets as Ive always been worried about wheat derived glucose syrup, but that's for another thread I think.

By the way, are you going to the Allergy Show? I'm planning on going but can only do Sunday so if you are and are going on that day maybe we could meet up for a coffee or something smile

Take care and hope all's well with you both.

londonmum123 Wed 09-May-12 20:05:04

That's such a shame about the breadmaker - I had high hopes for you both.

Completely understand the desire to give her chocolate with dairy in it. I'm sure that someone will answer your plea for help. I assume you have been told to give her straight milk then? Does she tolerate the taste? It must taste hideous after lovely nutramigen...!

Yes, planning to go to the Allergy show although not sure which day yet. I had planned to take all 3 DCs but, after reading that it gets very busy, am thinking better of it (my pushchair is like a tank..). So maybe I'll just take DD1 and have some 1:1 time with her (she loves going on the tube). I'll ask DH if he doesn't mind watching the twins on Sunday. What time are you heading there? Coffee sounds great.

chullah - didn't want to leave your question unanswered, however, I don't know. Why don't you post a separate question on the Allergy board and some of the more knowledgeable ladies will be able to give you advice?

mumat39 Thu 10-May-12 14:56:14

londonmum, I'm going on the Sunday as that's the only day I can make it. So if you think you might be going then, let me know and I'll pm you my mobile number so you can text me when you're there and we can arrange to meet up.

I'm not taking my kids so It'll just be me.

smile

thejozone Thu 20-Nov-14 20:12:18

Hey - try D&D Chocolates, I started using them recently, they have a Nut Free factory. www.danddchocolates.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now