Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

you know i said the other day that teenagers are idiots and their brains dont work properly

(14 Posts)
bruffin Tue 25-Oct-11 02:46:08

Well today Ds proved itangry
The cookie didn't kill him, but I will.
Someone gave him a white choc cookie which turned out to have macademian nuts.
This is the first time his breathing has been affected, so will now need to get an epipen.
The person who gave him the cookie didn't know about his nut allergy, so is completely blameless.
When he was 4 he could look out for himself better than now he is 16.
I don't think he has had macademia nuts before, so I wonder if he is more allergic to those than other tree nuts.
Just having a rant because I can't sleep now..

ChocaMum Tue 25-Oct-11 09:38:55

Oh no bruffin, how stressful. I've heard the teenage years can be a bit hairy with them suddenly becoming quite lax.

I'm a bit confused though because if he's allergic to tree nuts does he not need to avoid practically all chocolates and biscuits because of the may contain labels, or was it because he has never had a reaction involving his breathing that he's only ever needed to avoid actual nuts?

Anyway epipens are amazing, they work so quickly and are not difficult at all to use. Being 16 he'll easily be able to learn to use it himself too.

The other thing that might be useful is the workshops run by the anaphylaxis campaign for teenagers and families. Good luck.

mummytime Tue 25-Oct-11 09:56:44

Having an epipen is a very good thing.
There is a local tragedy of a local girl who went to university, she went out for a Curry and it had been cooked in a nut oil. She had a full anaphylaxic shock, she died, but might just have survived if her allergy had been flagged up as serious enough for an epipen.

mummytime Tue 25-Oct-11 09:57:24

Having an epipen is a very good thing.
There is a local tragedy of a local girl who went to university, she went out for a Curry and it had been cooked in a nut oil. She had a full anaphylaxic shock, she died, but might just have survived if her allergy had been flagged up as serious enough for an epipen.

duchesse Tue 25-Oct-11 10:03:36

Mummy, was that girl at Cambridge in 1989? Otherwise, same thing to girlfriend of a friend of mine back then. Waiter assured her no nuts in anything she had ordered. Turned out not to be so. Dead 20 minutes later, at 21.

ChocaMum Tue 25-Oct-11 10:32:48

The anaphylaxis campaign had posted on fb recently that there has been several anaphylactic reactions to eating out/takeaway curries recently, three of which were fatal. Most were places that the people had eaten at before. It's really awful. And it reminds us how we can never assume anything is safe. sad

babybarrister Tue 25-Oct-11 11:26:38

precisely why nut bans do not work - the buggers have got to do it for themselves ....

mummytime Tue 25-Oct-11 14:22:57

Nope she was at Durham.

babybarrister Tue 25-Oct-11 15:52:05

Bruffin hope your errantDS now feeling better anyway

bruffin Tue 25-Oct-11 21:02:11

Thanks
The idiot lovely boy is ok today. The irony is that he is doing a lifeguards course this week so doing lifesaving.
He has also lost his mobile so not a good week for him.
He just didn't ask about the cookie, because he thought he had one before.
This was not a trace of nuts reaction. The biscuit had chunks of macadamia in, though I don't think he has ever heard of macadamia before.
Hopefully he has learnt his lesson. He had breathing problems, went cold and shivery and was itching. He was out with friends, thankfully antihistamine worked,but will get epipen.

Schulte Tue 25-Oct-11 21:41:29

I am dreading the teenage years and DD2 is only 2 1/2 sad

BOOareHaunting Tue 25-Oct-11 21:53:33

That reaction sounds just like the one my DS had (cols/ shivery and rapid breathing). Did he use double dose AH? I've been told to do that because DS has been held off full blown anaphylaxis (although does have epi-pens because of the reaction). Mindyou he had triple dose then and next time would use an epi-pen after advice here! (Laughs at me actually taking MN advice over DR's!)

Sounds like an accident - bless him. Does he usually eat most things without worrying or does he have a list of safe treats?

Following the deaths from anaphylaxis - my friend died of nut allergy at 14 after eating a toffee yogurt from a major supermarket. It contained traces of nuts. (she was also severely asthmatic and cardiac arrest was the cause of death) I don't even remember her having an epi-pen.

I think this a good reason why any one who's had an allergy with breathing difficulties should be prescribed one - you just don't know. And bruffin I'd ask for the jext pen - they have a retractable needle and as your DS is likely to be doing it himself (or a friend) it may just give you that extra piece of mind?

babybarrister Tue 25-Oct-11 21:59:53

Please don't anyone be afraid to use epipens/jextpens as it really is not that bad and franklybcan be a life saver ... The first time we used we wasted too much time messing around with AH by which time ds unconscious

ChocaMum Tue 25-Oct-11 22:15:54

Please please do listen to what babybarrister has said. We did the same first time and had an unconscious little dd when we should have just used the epipen. You cannot do any harm by using an epipen/jextpen/anapen - they all release adrenaline into your body which will widen the airways and get the blood pressure back to normal, and saves lives. The worst that can happen if you use it inappropriately is its painful, the heart races for a bit and the breathing rate is a bit faster. The body breaks drown adrenaline within 5-10 minutes so it has no long term effects and is not dangerous. But by waiting to see if it's necessary to use it, it can end up being too late. If in doubt, use the adrenaline pen. Then give call an ambulance and give the antihistamine, but always use the pen first if the breathing is involved in any way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now