Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Egg Allergy?

(3 Posts)
justanothertenminutes Mon 24-Oct-11 15:58:27

Hi, DS is 3.5 years old, I've noticed a few times over the last year or so that he gets a rash around his mouth whilst eating, it's only ever been if he has eaten mayonnaise or eggs. Does this sound like an egg allergy? I can't think what else it might be. It doesn't seem to bother him and he doesn't get any other symptoms as far as I'm aware. It doesn't happen every time he eats mayonnaise and he very rarely eats eggs themselves.

What do you think? What should I do?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Mon 24-Oct-11 16:33:52

DS2 used to get a rash eating tomatoes, nothing else ever happened and he's all grown up now. DS1 projectile-vomited after the first time he ate scrambled eggs, I didn't give him that again! I'm intolerant to egg white in some circumstances (stomach pain and run to loo) so I avoid them, but neither DS1 nor I have any problems eating eg cake with egg in. It's an odd one.

I'd keep an eye out for any further developments, but not worry too much about it for now.

ChocaMum Tue 25-Oct-11 13:59:36

If its just around the mouth it's unlikely to be an allergy, but more a skin sensitivity to egg and probably a high concentration of egg is what's required to cause this or he'd be having with all sorts of things.

If he starts getting other problems then obviously do see your GP.

In some allergies and intolerances its not uncommon to have a reaction to high content foods only that have not been baked. Baking uses such high temperatures that the allergen gets pretty much destroyed (denatured) so will therefore not cause a reaction in certain people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now