Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Recent research has identified a new test for allergens [wink]

(6 Posts)
babybarrister Mon 24-Oct-11 10:12:37

If you have done skin prick, RAST, hospital food challenges but all reveal nothing - try the PARTY test

when you take your DC to a party and there are lots of yummy foods, do you find that all of their allegies suddenly disappear and they are miraculously able to eat "treats"?

if not, and actually a trip to A and E is not an integral part of a "treat" hmm - then yes, your DC really does have an allergy .... wink

NessaRose Mon 24-Oct-11 14:53:54

works with adults as well. And forced my DBro to believe that Iam allergic to Custard Creams. sad

freefrommum Mon 24-Oct-11 16:23:52

Ah yes, I remember a friend of mine telling us all that her DS was allergic to eggs (funnily enough, this announcement came not long after my DS was diagnosed with multiple allergies) so for his birthday she went to great expense to have an egg-free birthday cake made for him. However, I watched in horror as she allowed him to eat quiche! When I pointed it out to her she just shrugged and said 'oh, I think it's only certain types of egg' WTF? Not long after that, she told us that he'd passed an egg challenge in hospital so no more phantom egg allergy...

greenbananas Mon 24-Oct-11 19:43:07

Ooh freefrommum - I bet you struggled to be polite to that mum! How come half-cooked egg in quiche is safer than well-cooked egg in cake???

Some mums seem to love the attention that allergies can bring (which is perhaps why we mums of children with 'genuine' allergies are so often accused of 'being dramatic'/attention-seeking behaviour).

I'm amazed that your friend was able to get a food-challenge in hospital, when some of us wait months and months to access any kind of support.

(Do I sound bitter? grin)

SickleBOO Mon 24-Oct-11 19:51:35

There was a repeat Come Dine With Me this week where a woman said she was allergic to wheat, dairy, citrus & eggs then made & ate key lime pie.

babybarrister Mon 24-Oct-11 20:46:27

loving it sickleboo! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now