Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just got the jext trainer pen through the post.

(13 Posts)
BOOareHaunting Thu 20-Oct-11 21:19:21

OK, so we still have epi-pens atm but will ask for jext when they expire in April.

The ALK website where I register the pens for expiry texts is giving away jext training pens.

Much better as have a retractable needle.

link to order yours

babybarrister Fri 21-Oct-11 11:26:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChocaMum Fri 21-Oct-11 12:05:55

We just picked up our two jext pens a couple of days ago, it was great to see an expiry date that says 2013! And no issues about storing at specific temperatures. And like you said the retractable needle, which is a big bonus because the epipen needles are huge.

The pharmacist seemed a bit confused when I took I the prescription but after explaining what it was they managed to get it in the next day.

At least we won't have to bug our GP as often about replacing expired epipens so everyone's happy!

babybarrister Fri 21-Oct-11 15:14:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChocaMum Fri 21-Oct-11 18:17:19

The exciting world of anaphylaxis!!!

BOOareHaunting Fri 21-Oct-11 18:31:57

grin

I double checked at DS' after school club the epi-pen they held for him is April expiry as I thought and not Oct as the school ones were. Was suitably blush when I discovered they are but his chlorphenamine expired in August.

It's never sodding ending. grin

okiecokie Fri 21-Oct-11 22:12:24

So are Jext pens same as epi-pens but with retracable needle and longer expiry? Can I simply request these from GP now (as repeat script) instead of epi-pen? Would help as I have 4 epi-pens for DS and they are prescribed at different times so I seem to have to pop in repeat scripts every 6 months which is OK but it is just one more thing to remember more often.

ChocaMum Fri 21-Oct-11 23:34:02

Yes they are still adrenaline so it's the same drug but in a much more stable form, which is why it doesn't require careful storage and lasts longer, I just requested them on dd's repeat script and crossed out epipen and wrote jext pens. It will definitely make life that much easier when dealing with everything that life with allergies throws at you.

Acekicker Sat 22-Oct-11 11:39:35

What is the NHS/NICE guidance on them and the pricing? My worry is that given the pressure to save money we'll have a fight on our hands getting them if they're a more pricey alternative...

ChocaMum Sun 23-Oct-11 22:23:49

Sorry but have no idea about costs. As far as I'm aware there is only advise on when to prescribe an adrenaline emergency pen rather than specify the type of pen because they all do the same thing at the end of the day. So the decision is normally left to the individual doctor for the specific type in these situations.

JennyS1979 Mon 24-Oct-11 12:47:31

I spoke to our GP about switching over to jext from epi pen, and he said that cost wise they actually cost the same but do last longer. We had no problems in changing over. Seems better all round for everyone! Ive just ordered my trainer pen and waiting for it to arrive!

ChocaMum Tue 25-Oct-11 09:30:51

I need to order the trainer pen too, especially considering we have the real thing now. It looked very straight forward on the leaflet and video on the alk website, is that what you have found too?

JennyS1979 Wed 26-Oct-11 11:29:42

I received my trainer pen..yaaay!, its really easy to use and the instructions are clear on the labeling, we watched the video again whilst practicing with the trainer pen to make sure we were doing it right

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now