Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

bit concerned about ds doing this egg challenge - any advice?

(11 Posts)
stottiecake Sat 15-Oct-11 23:11:53

hello!
ds is 2.11 and carries an epi-pen for his milk allergy. he is also allergic to egg according to the skin prick test and there has never been a reduction in the size of the reaction - so no indication he is growing out of it.

He has never actually touched egg let alone eaten it so was a bit surprised when they invited him to the hospital to have the egg challenge and are expecting him to eat a little bit of a boiled egg.

I thought it would make better sense to start off with it cooked in a cake or something? Seems a bit full on to go straight for the egg? Am considering cancelling the appointment. Have learnt over time that the professionals don't always get it right and this doesn't feel right to me.

Any thoughts?

many thanks x

eragon Sat 15-Oct-11 23:19:57

no reduction in cooked egg allergy skin prick test?
and no reduction in raw egg allergy skin prick test?

if so, its a bit odd.

normally they start with reduced spt or blood results, and reaction history before they spend lots on the hospital food challenge.

ring them and ask the questions before cancelling so that you have a clearer picture of their reasoning process first .

good luck.

lilbreeze Sat 15-Oct-11 23:24:10

That does sound a little bit odd. However
The challenges start off with such tiny amounts that i wouldn't worry too much. DD1 had failed milk and egg challenges before passing them both on the 2nd attempt but even the failed ones were ok - not scary. Is the challenge at a hospital presumably?

mawbroon Sat 15-Oct-11 23:29:12

I had this with ds1, possibly around the same age, I can't remember now. Like you, I didn't think it made a lot of sense.

But, what actually happened was that they did a skin test first, which of course he had a big reaction to and said that they weren't going to do the egg challenge after all.

When we did finally do an egg challenge (he was almost 4 I think), they used these Boudior sponge fingers (they are something like 25% egg) the first time, and then several months later, a boiled egg sandwich.

babybarrister Sun 16-Oct-11 09:53:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stottiecake Sun 16-Oct-11 22:57:29

thank you - thats really helpful.

i did ask whether he should be starting with cake first and was told just to bring a boiled egg and a raw egg.

Well I think we shall just go along. I will be able to ask questions once there if I get worrried!!

babybarrister Mon 17-Oct-11 12:27:27

eragon Mon 17-Oct-11 17:14:29

but make sure cake is not cross contaminated with other allergens, and that if homemade is well cooked to a high heat to change protein.
any slightly soggy in the middle cake will be a problem for those with raw egg allergy.

babybarrister Mon 17-Oct-11 20:47:24

stottiecake Mon 17-Oct-11 23:13:47

thanks!

there is a cake recipe which they give to parents but the person I spoke to said that i was to just bring the eggs.

I really do feel he should be starting with the cake. Hmm.

Schulte Thu 20-Oct-11 20:29:07

Do let us know how you get on. DD2 just had her blood test results back with grade 2 allergy to egg but that's raw (I presume) and I would love to know if she might be able to tolerate baked egg. She's 2 1/2 after all and it would make our lives so much easier! Going to ask the consultant about it...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now