Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breakthrough in peanut and egg allergy - in mice

(9 Posts)
FiveBells Thu 13-Oct-11 14:10:37

It's probably a long way from human treatment, but hopeful news out of the US in finding a cure for peanut and egg allergies, and potentially other foods as well. I can't wait for the day when DS1 can join us in a meal out, or even travel somewhere exotic, without having to worry about his food allergies!

here's the link

FiveBells Thu 13-Oct-11 14:17:17

Aaaargh! Stupid link didn't work. Try this

www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2011/10/peanut-allergy-bryce.html

Likeaninjanow Thu 13-Oct-11 17:02:29

Wow! That sounds exciting (and more than a little scary)!

Thanks for sharing, it's always encouraging to hear of new research.

nellymoo Thu 13-Oct-11 20:06:48

Ooh, I do love reading stuff like this. There IS hope!

eragon Thu 13-Oct-11 22:49:14

I read this, and wondered how they would change every white blood cell to stop it reacting?

and dont we need tests on a mammal more like us before we can promise the same result in humans?

still, interesting theory.

FiveBells Fri 14-Oct-11 02:56:12

I wondered that too eragon. I am sure there are years of trial etc ahead, but how wonderful to think there may actually be a cure on day in the not too distant future!

babybarrister Mon 17-Oct-11 20:52:53

lets hope!

ChocaMum Mon 17-Oct-11 21:51:15

Any hope is good.
At the end of the day research on mice is meant to be quite reliable for humans, but there will obviously be more steps in the trial before we can hope to see it for our dc's.
It's great to read more research into allergies though, and into an actual cure too. Thanks fivebells. smile

Schulte Thu 20-Oct-11 20:33:26

I'd happily offer DD2 for a trial grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now