Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Problem with peanut butter

(4 Posts)
hiddenhome Sat 08-Oct-11 17:19:37

ds1 has passed his challenge test in hospital and I was advised to give him peanuts regularly from now on just to keep his body aware of them and that there's no need to react.

I've just tried him with some peanut butter and he feels sick and his left eye is all red and itchy. I've given him two cetirizine and he seems okay.

I wonder why the peanut butter is a problem confused

He's eaten M&Ms and a Snickers bar with no problems in the last week.

nellymoo Sat 08-Oct-11 20:04:36

Hmm, don't really have an answer for you, but we have had a similar experience of being re-sensitised after passing a food challenge.

My DD has many serious food allergies, and is anaphylactic to a number of different things. Her IgE bloods for milk were low enough for her paed to suggest a challenge, which we were amazed that she passed.
We had a weekend of her trying a few things with dairy, but by the monday she was refusing to eat anything with CMP in it, telling us it made her feel sick. So we left it a couple of days, and then she had a very nasty reaction to a spoon full of ice-cream.

It is possible to be re-sensitised at any point, apparently. Very confusing, and upsetting as we are told that a food challenge is the gold standard of tests. If I were you I would try and speak to your consultant ASAP.

Not much help, I know. Sorry!

hiddenhome Sat 08-Oct-11 20:17:12

Thank you. I don't know much about re-sensitisation, but I am beginning to think that it's possible. I'll have to watch him carefully sad Perhaps there's something in peanut butter that's a problem.

nellymoo Sat 08-Oct-11 20:27:23

Maybe, but its usually just peanuts, vegetable oil and sometimes sugar...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now