Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Which hypoallergenic formula for CMP and soya allergic 7 month old?

(15 Posts)
crazycatlady Sat 08-Oct-11 16:47:06

DS has been exclusively breastfed until now. He is CMP allergic. I want to swap two of his five feeds a day to formula so I can wear normal clothes again and be able to leave him for more than an hour! Dietitian gave us Wysoy to try him on as she said he is very unlikely to accept Nutramigen given he's been BF until now.

He's just had his first bottle of Wysoy and came up with a few red marks around his mouth afterwards. I'm going to try him again tomorrow but it's looking like he might be soya allergic too... I'm due to speak to the dietitian on Monday, what should I ask her for next? Are any of the hypoallergenic formulas at all palatable? Has anyone had an easy transition from BF to hypoallergenic formula of any kind?

I'm feeling a bit desperate. I am so sick of having to get my boobs out in public...

(n.b. I've read the studies on soya formula/phyto-oestrogens etc)

Pancakeflipper Sat 08-Oct-11 17:36:18

My youngest went onto a hypollergenic formula when he was 1yr 9 months old. We have Neocate prescribed. It is very expensive and Dr's wince at prescribing it so it tends to be a referral from a consultant.

I was very lucky that my son took to it very easily. But other little ones find it utterly vile ( and oh it is - I tried it). They do it in a banana flavour too and people have been known to flavour with milkshake syrup. Think there is a thread on here entirely about how to disguise the taste.

ilovemydogandMrObama Sat 08-Oct-11 17:39:02

neocate lcp. DS loves neocate hmm.

PeppaPigandGeorge Sat 08-Oct-11 17:49:55

My youngest is also CMP and soy allergic. She has only had 2 BF per day since 9 months, no formula - she refused nutramigen (in fairness, it is disgusting - I tried it) and neocate.

To keep the calories and calcium up we do none cow milk and cheese.

Our dietician said to steer clear of all mammal milks, but actually she is fine with buffalo milk. She also eats cheeses such as mozarella, feta and manchego. It is only cow's milk that causes a problem. You do need to check labels carefully as some cheaper versions of these milks and cheeses actually contain cow's milk.

crazycatlady Sat 08-Oct-11 19:06:03

Thanks, that's all really helpful! So two votes for neocate then? He's under a paediatrician at St Thomas's for a number of other issues so getting the prescription should be ok I think.

Peppa that's interesting that your daughter is ok on just 2 BF per day and then careful management of the rest of her diet... that might be worth thinking about for DS. If I can get him to gradually have fewer, bigger BF feeds that might work.

We found the same with DD (who was also CMP allergic but has now outgrown) that she was fine on sheep milk cheeses. But then she was also fine on soya which I don't think DS is.

Has anyone ever tried Aptimil Pepti for a CMP allergic child?

babybarrister Sat 08-Oct-11 20:53:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

freefrommum Sat 08-Oct-11 21:22:04

I would recommend Nutramigen but be prepared for DS to take a while to get used to it. Best to mix small amount with breast milk then gradually increase.

tiredfeet Sat 08-Oct-11 21:31:40

Ds is on neocate as he is dairy and soya allergic. He had never had a bottle of any sort (even expressed) before seven months, but started on neocate when I went back to work at seven and a half months and got used to it pretty quickly and now loves it. I did breastfeeds at night until he was eleven months. I was advised that its important to get them used to the taste before nine months, and I started by mixing some of powder with fruit puree.

tiredfeet Sat 08-Oct-11 21:31:40

Ds is on neocate as he is dairy and soya allergic. He had never had a bottle of any sort (even expressed) before seven months, but started on neocate when I went back to work at seven and a half months and got used to it pretty quickly and now loves it. I did breastfeeds at night until he was eleven months. I was advised that its important to get them used to the taste before nine months, and I started by mixing some of powder with fruit puree.

mintyneb Sat 08-Oct-11 22:34:58

My DD was originally prescribed nutramigen but got nowhere with it so we were switched to Pepsi instead (DD was prob about 7 - 8 months old at the time and had been EBF up til then). I was expressing twice a day anyway so gradually replaced 5ml of breast milk per feed with Pepti until she took a whole bottle without any problems. It took a while but as we all know, breast milk is so precious that i didn't dare ruin a whole feed by adding in formula too quickly! Having said that I was probably over cautious so don't let that put you off
DD stayed on pepti til she turned 4 earlier this year but fortunately she can tolerate soya so has that now as her main drink. Hope you manage to get something sorted

crazycatlady Sat 08-Oct-11 22:43:24

Better dig out the old Medela Swing... good advice to mix, thank you. I haven't expressed for months as DD (2.9) gets a bit too interested and starts pressing buttons but I will have to find a way!

Interesting that you can buy over the counter. Might buy some Pepti and see how we get on with it. I've heard it's a bit less minging than Nutramigen and Neocate. A slight aside, what on earth is neocate made from if it is totally artificial? <off to scan neocate website>

crazycatlady Sun 09-Oct-11 15:56:38

Confused now. I just offered DS 3oz of Wysoy to confirm whether what we saw yesterday was an allergic reaction. And nothing! OK, a large amount of it dribbled round his neck rather than going in his mouth but there was no reaction at all.

I am going to try him again tomorrow before asking for an alternative formula. He seems to like the taste of it and we can buy it in Waitrose so would be much easier all round if he turns out to be ok with soya.

Thanks for all the advice, will bookmark this thread in case I need to come back to it.

freefrommum Sun 09-Oct-11 16:36:07

As far as I know, Neocate is not totally artificial, it is still based on cow's milk but the protein is fully broken down into amino-acids rather than just partially broken down as in other hypoallergenic formulas. My DS has been on Neocate for a long time now (he's now 4). He was originally breastfed then went on to normal formula then Wysoy then Nutramigen before finalling settling on Neocate so I had lots of battles trying to get him to take each new formula as they're all pretty yucky!

garliclover Mon 10-Oct-11 10:28:46

You asked about Aptamil Pepti -- that's the one my DS (15 mo) has been on since he was 6 months. It is far more palatable than the others, and our paediatrician said that it is very rare for babies to react to it. It also contains some lactose, which we were happy about because I was worried about our DS becoming lactose intolerant if there was no lactose at all in his diet. Perhaps this fear is completely unfounded, though! The only thing I regret now is that even the follow-on Pepti 2 has much less calcium than Nutramigen or Neocate. HTH a bit.

babybarrister Tue 11-Oct-11 16:23:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now