Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

st johns ambulance seem to have nationwide courses just for anaphylaxis

(5 Posts)
babybarrister Wed 05-Oct-11 18:25:22

http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/training-courses/course-search.aspx. Sorry cannot work out how to dO a link on iPad ....

greenbananas Wed 05-Oct-11 18:51:17

I couldn't get that link to work - is this the course you mean?

At the weekend, I met a man (at a children's party) who had done anaphylaxis-specific training with St. Johns Ambulance. He said it was a really useful and interesting course.

A few months ago, I did a paediatric first-aid course with St Johns, and we were all trained very briefly (about 10 minutes) about how and when to use an epipen (and a training pen was passed round) but we were also told that legally we would need specific epipen training for each child in our care.

babybarrister Wed 05-Oct-11 21:21:43

I think it is - I just found it on the list of general training .... Maybe I need more of a cpr course then as. Am sadly all too good at plunging epipens into thighs !

youarekidding Wed 05-Oct-11 21:30:18

That's good. They do cover CPR as well BB it would seem.

There is no courses near me sad and the nearest one (60odd miles) is £15 more expensive than the rest. hmm

greenbananas Wed 05-Oct-11 21:33:30

Epipen training was described in terms of 10:10:10 (i.e. hold epipen 10cm away from thigh, jab hard, hold in while counting for 10 seconds, then rub affected area for *10 seconds*).

I think CPR is a useful skill for us all to have... and is covered well in the general paediatric first aid course.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now