Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Best scratch mits for 4 month old

(17 Posts)
peedieworky Tue 04-Oct-11 16:19:48

Hi all,

This isn't actually an allergy issue (though he does have eczema) but relates to my DS clawing at his cradle cap - to the point his baldy head is just covered in weeping scabs. I just thought there would be a wealth of experience in this forum when it came to the scratching issue. He is currently sporting his socks on his arms (right up to the armpit!) after another episode of tearing his scalp to bits. The main problem is he scratches more during the day than at night so I had been reluctant to put mits on him as they would get in the way of him playing & frustrate him. Oh - and he's a thumb sucker so I thought he would double crazy if he was unable to soothe himself. However, I think I am going to have to go with it - even for just a week, to give the scabs a chance to heal or else they're likely to get infected. Can anyone recommend good scratch mits? I tried ones from Asda but they were quickly yanked off (hence the socks!). Or should I just sew them onto some long sleeved tops? All advice appreciated.

garliclover Tue 04-Oct-11 17:09:39

I used scratchsleeves (you can google them) for my DS though he scratched his head mostly at night. They're amazing!

thegrandsophy Tue 04-Oct-11 17:14:12

I second scratch sleeves. Can be slipped on and off easily (by the adult!) and much better than scratch mitts. Plus if the socks are ribbed they can actually rub quite badly. Might be worth checking with gp it is just cradle cap though as unusual for it to be so itchy unless infected.

peedieworky Tue 04-Oct-11 17:44:57

Thanks - will check that out. All started as he rubs his head/face when tired which knocked the cradle cap scabs so they bled. Now is the scabs itching i think. Using a dummy for naps has helped as he used to scratch most while sucking his thumb.

JarethTheGoblinKing Tue 04-Oct-11 17:46:40

The only ones that stayed on DS were the ones that were attached to his sleep-suits - they all had fold over scratch mits.

SamMiguel Tue 04-Oct-11 17:51:48

www.scratchsleeves.co.uk/Shop.html

CrystalTits Tue 04-Oct-11 17:53:49

Scratchsleeves

stripygiraffe Tue 04-Oct-11 17:54:32

Use socks!!

My DS was forever trying to --gouge out
-- rub his eyes so I put socks on his hands. Problem solved.

stripygiraffe Tue 04-Oct-11 17:55:58

gouge out

First MN strike out - epic fail. sad

JarethTheGoblinKing Tue 04-Oct-11 17:58:12

I've just looked at scratch sleeves.. why wouldn't you just use socks? confused

peedieworky Tue 04-Oct-11 18:18:13

I have his socks on his arms at the moment.. Been on about an hour and a quarter and already sodden wet and seem to be making the eczema on his face flare up?! AAAaaAAAaaargh!

freefrommum Tue 04-Oct-11 18:50:18

My preference at that age was for sleepsuits or pyjamas with fold over scratch mitts as they're harder to get off plus you can leave their thumb out to suck. Asda, Next, Matalan and M&S used to sell them but haven't looked for ages (DS now 4!). With normal scratch mitts I used to cut a small hole in the right place to allow him to suck his thumb - otherwise he'd have gone crazy!

wahwahwah Tue 04-Oct-11 18:55:16

Socks. Even baby Houdini can't get these off.

nancerama Tue 04-Oct-11 18:59:40

M&S ones are great. My 4 month old can't get them off. They have a lovely thick knitted cuff to hold them on and the hand bit is lovely and roomy so that he can wriggle his fingers.

peedieworky Fri 07-Oct-11 22:36:04

Cheers all. Got M&S ones for day and cut thumb holes and using Sainsburys sleepysuits with built in mits (thumbs out) at night.

greenbananas Sat 08-Oct-11 20:19:33

Another vote for socks. By far the best in my experience, especially as DCs get older and it gets harder to buy sleepsuits with fold-over arms.

greenbananas Sat 08-Oct-11 20:23:04

Sorry, just read your posts properly blush. You have to keep changing the socks...

Actually, sewing socks onto long-sleeved tops is a great idea. I never thought of that!

It's horrible when your little one is going through this sad - but for many of us it does get better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now