Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

gluten free prescribable products for coeliac diseaset

(24 Posts)
LackaDAISYcal Mon 03-Oct-11 23:45:52

Does anyone know if breakfast cereals are on the prescribable list? I can't find my Cuk handbook and the website keeps crashing my phone internet connection. I'm trying to sort out a prescription for myself. I've never bothered since I was first dxd and it was pointed out to me recently that i could be saving myself a small fortune if i buy a prepayment certificate.
The only info I can find says biscuits, crackers, pizza base, pasta & bread but didn't mention cereals. surely gf oats are better than a biscuit?
Thanks in advance smile

Bumply Mon 03-Oct-11 23:57:41

Just checked in last year's bible and no breakfast cereals listed under prescription products.

LackaDAISYcal Tue 04-Oct-11 00:07:50

Biscuits and pizza but no healthy cereal options? Madness! and 8 loaves of gf bread isn't going to keep me in toast for a month! What are we expected to eat for breakfast?

LackaDAISYcal Tue 04-Oct-11 00:08:55

Oh and thanks smile blush

IDontDoIroning Tue 04-Oct-11 00:20:08

My dad is ceoliac and eats rice crisps for breakfast.

freefrommum Tue 04-Oct-11 10:33:10

Sadly, no breakfast cereals are available on prescription for coeliacs. You're right, it's crazy but given the fact that many NHS boards are cutting prescriptions for coeliacs I guess we should be grateful for whatever we can get at the moment! Most supermarket own brand cornflakes and rice crispies are ok (NOT Kellogg's as they contain too much barley malt). Are you a member of Coeliac UK? If not, I would really recommend it as you will then get the food 'bible' which lists all the products that are suitable for coeliacs. It's very confusing with breakfast cereals because they have to state that they contain barley malt even if the amount is so tiny that it's considered safe for coeliacs but the food bible makes it clear which ones are ok. My DD is coeliac and was also told to avoid oats (even pure oats) so she has Morrison's own brand corn flakes (much cheaper than 'special' gluten free corn flakes).

MoreBeta Tue 04-Oct-11 10:43:28

I have the same problem so I make my own gluten free muesli from raw ingredients which is not too expensive to do. At least I know what is in it.

DottyDot Tue 04-Oct-11 10:46:03

Sadly a lot of PCTs have stopped allowing g-f food on prescription. And I agree it would have been far better to have been able to get g-f breakfast cereal on prescription.

I buy Doves Farm cornflakes but they're expensive, or Tesco's Rice Pops which are cheaper but not as nice grin

alison222 Tue 04-Oct-11 10:55:25

My dad eats various Dove's farm cereals for breakfast. He used to get breakfast cereal on prescription years ago but this was discontinued some time ago.

Lackadaisical - I don't think Dad has a limit on the no of loaves of bread he can have.

LackaDAISYcal Tue 04-Oct-11 15:01:26

Thanks for the replies. Yes I am a member of coeliac uk, I just can't find my book. I usually have pure oats for brekkie and thought it would be prescribable. I also buy the doves farm flakes as a treat. Sadly other health issues have caused my intolerance to step up a gear and even small amounts of malt extract set me off so no own brand crispies for me. Still it's worth me sorting out a presctiption since my pct still prescribes. Looks like it's toast or digestives for brekkie from now on, lol!

tkband3 Wed 05-Oct-11 08:30:46

I noticed yesterday that Tesco have started doing own brand free from breakfast cereals - still a bit more expensive than the standard own brand ones, but cheaper than Doves Farm and no malt extract in them at all. We bought Special Flakes - a bit like Special K; they also had coco pops and frosted flakes.

Have you tried Sainsburys own brand oats and muesli? Are they any cheaper?

notapizzaeater Wed 05-Oct-11 12:47:58

Some PCT's are stopping biscuits so bread, pasta, pizza bases only and flour mixes.

We have Natures Path cereals here (Ocado do them) - we have the balls and the "O"'s

Not tried DS with pure oats yet (2 years in and just been told he can try them but not plucked up courage yet ....)

LackaDAISYcal Wed 05-Oct-11 17:44:13

Oooh will check out Tesco thanks tkband3. GF anything is 2 or 3 times the price regardless of what it is. It's depressing, especially in the current economic situation.

iI kind of agree with biscuits not being available on prescription. Not exactly one of life's essentials, but then neither, I suppose is breakfast cereal hmm

LackaDAISYcal Wed 05-Oct-11 17:47:03

I tried the Natures Path Maple Sunrise this week, but it's a bit sweet for my taste. A handful mixed in with a bowl of the O's was lovely though!

MoreBeta Wed 05-Oct-11 21:17:39

LackaDAISYcal - are you sure you should be eating oats?

I don't. They have a small ampount of gluten in and if your intolerance has got worse you may need to cut them out.

tkband3 Wed 05-Oct-11 21:35:05

MoreBeta - You can buy oats that are uncontaminated by gluten. Not all coeliacs can tolerate them even then, but dieticians say you can try them...

Having said that, we've not tried them - DD1 was diagnosed 5 years ago, and we were told 3 years ago we could try them, but she there isn't anything she really wants to eat with them in. Might try making some flapjacks, see how they come out.

notapizzaeater Wed 05-Oct-11 21:42:21

tkband3 - perhaps we can hold hands whilst we do it. Was told in July (2 years diag.) he could have 25g of oats a day but just haven't dared yet ...... Last time he had them the school cook made flapjack with GF flour and normal oats, first I knew about it was when I collected him and he had 5 mouth ulcers on his gums (never having had any before if his life)

LackaDAISYcal Thu 06-Oct-11 12:31:35

Thanks morebeta, but it's the pure oats that I've been eating which are certified gluten free. I used to be ok with small amounts of regular oats, but not any more...and as I emit the most noxious gases if I even eat a tiny amount of (gluten contaminated food, I'm pretty certain pure oats are fine!
And I may be wrong, but I thought the latest dietary advice from coeliac UK is that provided they have been on a gf diet for some time then the majority of coeliacs are fine with pure oats.

freefrommum Thu 06-Oct-11 19:08:47

The oats for coeliacs debate is an ongoing one. I was told by dietician that research has shown that while many coeliacs appear to be able to tolerate pure oats without any symptoms, biopsies on these coeliacs have shown that they still have a detrimental affect on the lining of the bowel even though they appear to have no symptoms. However, the jury is still out and it might well be that another piece of research totally contradicts this! We were advised to avoid oats all together for DD, especially as she has only recently been diagnosed but who knows what the advice will be in the future!

tkband3 Sun 09-Oct-11 14:03:11

Sorry - only just come back to this thread.

notapizzaeater - yes will let you know when I make flapjacks!

Talking of cakes, I thought you might all be interested ....I found an amazing new g-f cookery book last week - and I've made gluten free choux pastry from it! Raspberry and chocolate profiteroles for pudding later...will let you know how they taste smile.

notapizzaeater Sun 09-Oct-11 16:14:19

Ooh - whats the book ? I've just bought "4 ingredients GF" and have a made a couple of things which have been ok.

I made GF gingerbread men today - according to DS they taste fab !

tkband3 Mon 10-Oct-11 08:24:50

The book is the gluten-free baker by Hannah Miles, who was a Masterchef finalist a few years ago. It's got some really amazing looking recipes in it and the profiteroles were delicious - the texture was just like normal ones. There's recipes for different kinds of bread and other pastry too - really looking forward to trying more!

notapizzaeater Mon 10-Oct-11 11:35:18

Just ordered it and added delicious Cakes ooh parcels tomorrow ....

tkband3 Mon 10-Oct-11 18:59:15

Ooh that looks good too. Can't really justify any more recipe books for now (still haven't used Madhur Jaffrey's curry book blush). And I already have several other g-f books too! this one is pretty good too. No pretty pictures, but some fab recipes for kids to help with.

(Sorry for thread hijack LackaDAISYcal smile)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now