Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone know of a link between Milk and constipation ?

(13 Posts)
sparklystar Sat 01-Oct-11 20:51:16

DD 3yo was diagnosed lactose intolerant at 18mo (long story), appeared to grow out of it around 2yo i.e seemed o be able to tolerate milk, yoghurt much better, but now we have the opposite effect i.e it ungs her up - is this possible ?

Been to GP keep being given lactolose sp? Which I don't think works

aliceliddell Sun 02-Oct-11 14:15:38

Could it be IBS? I get it from wheat. No fun. If she's lactose intoerant, lactolose will make it worse, won't it?

RandomMess Sun 02-Oct-11 14:25:42

Yes intolerance to milk either gives you the squits or chronic constipation.

I'd cut it back out again.

Thumbwitch Sun 02-Oct-11 14:29:01

Agreed - get rid of it again. And stop using lactulose - it is a synthetic form of lactose.

sparklystar Sun 02-Oct-11 16:48:24

Thanks for the advice gonna mention again at GP's some what they say, she has had awful pain in her tummy today. I did wonder re lactolose Thumbwitch, but as I said it doesn't seem to work anyway.

RandomMess Sun 02-Oct-11 16:52:23

Stop the milk today and see if it makes a difference - keep a diary.

Movicol would be something better to get things moving again I should think. Lactulose even if it is working can give you dreadful tummy pains.

happysmellyfeet Sun 02-Oct-11 17:01:35

Yes! My doc told me that milk is a major cause of constipation. Movicol worked wonders for my son too.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 05-Oct-11 18:47:38

I knew a mother who gave her ds so much sugary milky tea in his bottle he had to have surgery for constipation, going back 14 years now.

So yes I'd say dairy can bung you up

Thumbwitch Thu 06-Oct-11 09:45:58

Jeez fluffy - how are his teeth??

DorisIsAPinkDragon Thu 06-Oct-11 10:12:40

Yes Yes Yes!!

DD1 has chronic contipation triggered by milk (and now soya as well) intolerant as a baby seemed to grow out of it now suffers dreadfully. She is on movicol (4 sachets a day on bad days! sad)

It looks like dd3 may suffer similarly, dairy intolerant intiaially (sp!) now I'm trying to reintroduce dairy and her transit time is massively increased (but she not yet properely constipated (but I am trying her with only small amounts of dairy!).

Go back to your GP it took us a long time to convince them that there was a problem (constipation caused continence issues aswell) and DD1 has now been refered to the continence team. The ERIC website is also a good resource for constipation issues too.

sparklystar Thu 06-Oct-11 12:52:25

Thanks for all the replies smile

Doris it seems our DD's have similar problems, I also found it takes ages to convince them there is a problem took me 18mths last time.

Well am going to contact the GP today and try and get an appt to discuss with them

MeMySonAndI Thu 06-Oct-11 12:56:19

Yes, DS was always constipated when he was having milk. You need to remove milk absolutely for 2-3 weeks to notice all the effect it may be having on your child.

When we did... the asthma, eczema, permanent bloated tummy, constipation and perennial runny nose were gone. But we removed absolutely everything from milk to products containing whey. Even lactose free products which were especially formulated for milk allergy sufferers.

widdles Thu 06-Oct-11 13:04:16

my ds is 2.10 and was hospialised with constipation when i moved him on to cows milk at 1yr old. I had to give him toddler formula for 6 months and then he went straight on to semi skimmed and he is much better. If he is ever a little bunged up i give him movicol for a few days to give him a clear out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now