Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dairy-free party lunch ideas?

(4 Posts)
Weta Fri 23-Sep-11 11:17:42

In the past we've always just done afternoon tea with birthday cake and fruit, but this year DS1 wants a birthday lunch for a few friends. I want to do lots of little things - any ideas?

So far have thought of salami/tuna sandwiches, rolled up slices of ham, garlic bread, quiche, hummus with carrots and celery, pretzels and then individual fruit salads with sorbet (they'll have the birthday cake later after watching a DVD).

sc4rl3t Fri 23-Sep-11 11:44:56

How old is he? what is his favourite meal?
kids seem to love being treated like adults and given a starter and main course rather than party food - maybe even followed by a sorbet [served ironically of course wink ]
the key is that you wait on them and don't sit down trying to chat!

Weta Fri 23-Sep-11 23:14:36

He will be turning 8. Favourite meals - hot dogs with spicy sausages, couscous, shepherd's pie.

He was really keen on the idea of the party food as kids here don't normally have that kind of party (we live in Luxembourg and the parties are just birthday cake, or maybe pizza and cake, so he's never had a buffet type thing before).

Will ask him about the starter and main course idea although one of the issues is finding something all the guests will like, whereas with the party food I'm sure they'll each find something smile

ChocaMum Sun 25-Sep-11 19:31:37

It sounds like you've got it covered! Lots of food ideas that you have suggested so I'm sure that will easily fill them up! Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now