Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

has anyone with a dairy allergic child been able to get help for substitute milk at nursery school?

(7 Posts)
ilovemydogandMrObama Fri 23-Sep-11 10:43:06

Just found Oatly chocolate milk in cartons (thank you babybarrister smile) and am wondering if anyone has been able to get financial help for this?

Obviously if DS was not milk allergic, he'd get it for free.

silverfrog Fri 23-Sep-11 10:47:37

it never occurred to me, tbh.

both my dds are dairy free.

with dd1 I had to supply juice, as she was unable to drink water at the time (that sounds so wrong grin - she is severe ASD, and water is not somethig to drink, accordign to her)

dd2 just has water.

I am not sure a mechanism exists for financial help for this - and will the school not argue against it as it is chocolate milk? I do know of people who have managed to get flavoured soya ilk into school, but it was self funded and also down to ahealth reason (ie same as my dd1, the child would not drink any other liquid), not through personal choice (NOT saying the milk allergy is personal choice, but eg your ds could drink water)

mintyneb Fri 23-Sep-11 10:57:41

Hi ilove, I don't think there is funding available for this. My DD has just started reception and her school don't routinely provide free milk for the under 5s (in reception) but used to take any left over milk cartons from the nursery class.

They have stopped doing this this year as my DD is severely allergic to milk but they allow her to have a carton of alpro chocolate milk every morning. She does have other health issues thoughso this may have swayed their decision.

I have to fund the drinks though. Obviously a nursery setting is a different scenario but I doubt you would get help. I would love to be proved wrong though!

mollschambers Fri 23-Sep-11 11:04:13

IME kids will be offered milk or water. As there is already an alternative I doubt you would get funding.

HairyMaclary Fri 23-Sep-11 11:05:58

It never occurred to be tbh! Ds just has water. It's worth asking but I'm not sure you'll get anywhere!

ilovemydogandMrObama Fri 23-Sep-11 11:07:06

Thanks. Well, just was on the phone to Oatly. The chocolate cartons are being discontinued sad, however Kara have just released cartons of their plain coconut milk smile and the nice man there very kindly is sending me a sample.

DS is also soya allergic which reduces our options considerably....

Am wondering if the SENCO would be of any help? hmm

freefrommum Fri 23-Sep-11 15:53:08

Don't you get milk subsitute free on prescription? My DS is 4 and still has Neocate on prescription as recommended by his dietician. In Wales school children up to year 2 get free milk but obviously this doesn't apply to DS and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't fund an alternative. I have heard of children taking their own soya milk in to school but the parents had to pay for it themselves.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now