Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DS key worker forgot he is dairy allergic...

(15 Posts)
ilovemydogandMrObama Tue 20-Sep-11 11:52:11

DS 3.6 is starting nursery school. He had his home visit and we discussed all his allergies (dairy, soya, beef). They then put up notifications around the kitchen. Good. We discussed that the only time DS would be exposed to milk would be at milk time and he would be closely supervised.

We did the stay for an hour yesterday and today. One parent brought in yoghurt into the classroom and was feeding their child. She was asked to take it out.

But then DS was asked by his key worker to come and have a carton of milk shock shock shock

I replied that he was dairy allergic, that clearly she had forgotten, but that I will need to re think him going to nursery school if she forgets his dairy allergy on Day 2 with me there.

What do I do?

babybarrister Tue 20-Sep-11 11:55:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ilovemydogandMrObama Tue 20-Sep-11 11:58:20

Yup, it's like a 'wanted' poster. grin

I just don't feel like I can leave him... sad sad

lukewarmmama Tue 20-Sep-11 12:00:07

Gargh. Not sure really, I think if its just that one thing and you have been confident in all their other dealings with you , then just see how it goes.

Do you think its just a phrase she's so used to using that it came out automatically, and she would have actually given him his alternative drink?

How is your DS at regulating himself - ie would he ask 'is it friendly?' (the phrase my DD uses) before he's given anything? Obviously not 100% reliable, especially at that age, but a slight check for them.

Also, how are the rest of the staff there? Because its not always going to be his key worker.

Another thought - are there any other allergic children there? You could ask their parents how the setting has coped maybe.

For the first few sessions at new pre-schools, I've used wristbands and stickers on DD as well, for an extra reminder for them, until they get used to her being the 'odd' child.

babybarrister Tue 20-Sep-11 12:04:29

ChocaMum Tue 20-Sep-11 19:04:58

Oh how frustrating. I hope that it is because it's almost a reflex response to offer all the dc's milk so hopefully now you have pointed it out she will think more carefully. can you do more settling in sessions with you there to help you build some confidence in their abilities?

I've seen those t-shirts on amazon BB, what a great idea! Think I need some for upcoming birthday parties that have started making me feel very panicky. DH says just ot to go but it's a fine line between being rude and being safe.

shouldbeelswhere Tue 20-Sep-11 19:38:50

Oh poor you, ilovemydog what a crap introduction. I'd either stay and play for a while longer until I felt confident or go to a new nursery. Sorry you've had such a dreadful experience. Have you raised this incident with the person in charge at nursery?

OpenMouthInsertFoot Tue 20-Sep-11 19:40:49

What did she reply when you said that? I think how she responded would give you an idea of what's best to do.

ilovemydogandMrObama Tue 20-Sep-11 20:32:18

After I calmed down, called the head teacher who was mortified about it. I made it fairly clear that I lost all trust and confidence in DS key worker and at the very least, would like a more, um, older experienced teacher plus a meeting with the SENCO.

In the meantime I'm not taking him back until the head teacher comes back to me and her proposals as to how DS will be safe there.

Seeing DS consultant at Children's Hospital tomorrow, although am not sure that he will have any more ideas about living through the day to day.

Good idea about the t shirt. Anyone know where I could order one?

Santac Tue 20-Sep-11 20:43:17

654321 Tue 20-Sep-11 20:43:48

tshirts here :)

youarekidding Tue 20-Sep-11 21:12:54

shock

LMAO @ 'wanted' poster though. That's exactly what I thought DS looks like.

Mindyou it also has a picture of him mild reaction and severe reaction so it looks more like;

pic - everything hunky dory - allergy warning
pic - time to give AH
pic- time to panic grin

youarekidding Tue 20-Sep-11 21:14:04

sorry pressed post too soon. I totally agree with keeping him off until it gets sorted but do chase them because they should be able to cope with this, inclusion etc and if not then I'd try OFSTED as this is a clear safeguarding issue IMO.

CroissantNeuf Tue 20-Sep-11 21:28:25

I'm not surprised you've lost confidence in them.

A system they had the nursery DS went to was that all drinks and food had to be eaten at the table with each child sitting in front of their own placemat.

The placemats were laminated colour-coded pieces of card with the childs photo on plus details of any allergies.

tinytalker Tue 20-Sep-11 23:23:00

That is shocking, I'm not surprised you now have no confidence in their standard of care.
This is where allergy alert badges, stickers and t-shirts can be vital!
www.alwaysreadthelabel.info

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now