Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Junior epi-pen V's adult epi-pen?

(9 Posts)
youarekidding Fri 16-Sep-11 19:04:59

Evening all.

Most regulars know that my DS was prescribed epipens in February following a severe reaction, allergens are unknown, but we have since discovered the eosinophil count (allergic disease marker) is permantely raised. (prob due to hayfever despite him not always exhibiting symptoms confused).

Anyhoo, the first lot of epi-pens have expired so I've ordered more. (Did ask for long date ones - lesson 1 of allergies learnt from MN!). The pharmacist seemed surprised DS has the adult ones and double checked his current ones are adult and not junior.

I rung today to speak to GP who said they recommendation is junior for children 15-30kg. DS is 7yo and 23.7kg. (50%tile so normal) But that they recommend 10mg per kilo so 240mg would be ideal for him. Therefore a junior one may require a second dose, the adult one probably wouldn't and there is no 'risk' of using the adult one compared to the junior.

I trust the GP as the one I spoke to is fab. grin

Just really want to find out what other's have as I'm still unsure whether to insist on the lower dose. confused

<probably overthinking it emotion>

ChocaMum Fri 16-Sep-11 22:42:27

I think it's good to check everything on here considering the help or lack of help we often get as mothers of allergy sufferers.

I would agree with your GP though, it would be safer to have a little bit more adrenaline in your system than not enough and he is very close to the upper limit for junior epipen weight/dose. Adrenaline is very short acting and has no long term effects at these doses so I think it makes sense. HTH.

youarekidding Sat 17-Sep-11 09:03:12

Thankyou it does. My concern was exactly that - the effects of an 'overdose' which the GP assured me were unlikely and could occur with the junior pen.

I love MN because you get advice and support from people who have experience which differs from GP experience iyswim?

medical knowledge V's experience anyone? grin

Acekicker Sat 17-Sep-11 11:51:25

No medical experience, but based on the fact that when DS was first given junior epi-pens he was below 10Kg I'd also be happy having the adult one rather than the junior one for 23.7Kg if that makes sense.

My understanding is 'too much' adrenaline is less of an issue (and can probably be sorted at hospital fairly easily) whereas too little is more of a problem sad.

babybarrister Sun 18-Sep-11 13:54:56

FWIW DS given 1st epipen when 4 months so weighed about 8kg I imagine - now weighs about 21kg - 1 epipen was enough to control moderate reaction -

I would go with GP advice tbh - better to be safe than sorry

youarekidding Sun 18-Sep-11 14:02:13

Thanks ace and bb. It's reassuring to know you have both had epi-pens for children below the weight. (not great but reassuring iyswim!)

ChocaMum Sun 18-Sep-11 18:20:48

The first time I used the junior epipen DD weighed 7.2 kg and the cut off weight is 7.5 kg, DD had lost weight from 7.7kg when she was first prescribed the epipen and she was fine.

youarekidding Sun 18-Sep-11 18:38:52

Geez, that is very young and tiny choca sad

ChocaMum Mon 19-Sep-11 21:45:45

That's why I became a nervous wreck to start with, she was so tiny and a bit too much to take. She is 8.5 kg now and starting to gain weight now we are getting on top of her allergies, but lots more tests and appointments to make sure she gets there. I think when she is bigger and able to tell me how she feels the allergy side may be less terrifying for me.

Anyway I hope this reassures you about having an adult epipen!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now