Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Nut free food site

(12 Posts)
fivecandles Wed 14-Sep-11 19:18:27

Discovered this www.itsnutfree.com/ Dd2 will only eat food that clearly states no nuts after a recent anaphylactic reaction. Thought I'd share this discovery. Anyone know of any similar sites or brands that specify no nuts.

The labelling on so many products is uncertain i.e. no nuts, made in factory with no nuts, cannot guarantee nut free all on one produt. Problem is dd does not understand that companies have to do this to cover their backs. She will now only eat things which say no nuts.

ChocaMum Tue 20-Sep-11 20:40:29

Sorry for late reply. I like their cereals!

I also order from allergy Essex. although they don't have a lot of variety, everything they do stock does not contain the top allergens including nuts.

Kiddylicious also do nut free children's ready meals. And worthenshaws freefrom ice creams are nut free. That's all I can think of right now. How old is your DD by the way?

hormonesnomore Tue 20-Sep-11 21:02:10

Some branches of Sainsburys stock cakes from here. They're lovely.

I appreciate the links already given as so many foods are labelled 'may contain' now - it's great not having to worry about the ingredients.

hormonesnomore Tue 20-Sep-11 21:08:39

Just looked at the Worthenshaws website. As they mention that nuts are used in their factory, I'm afraid my DS just wouldn't eat the desserts - even though the risk is negligible, he's so careful because of the possible consequences.

ChocaMum Tue 20-Sep-11 22:15:12

They do handle nuts but if you read their allergen statement they have strict cleaning in between making each ice cream and the DNA testing has shown no traces of nuts in ice creams such as vanilla. The testing is considered the only way to be sure there are no nuts, even if a factory doesn't handle nuts because you can't be sure what's happened to ingredients before they have arrived at the factory. I hope that helps.

The just love food company do great nut free cakes at sainsburys. And the cake crusader is an online company that make cakes which are also nut free. Not all companies state their factories are nut free but if you contact them directly they will confirm what is and what isn't made in a nit free factory. For example some of doves farm cereals are made in nut free factories.

hormonesnomore Wed 21-Sep-11 20:15:24

Thanks ChocaMum, just read that and can see that the risk is really non-existent at Worthenshaws. I love it when a manufacturer takes such trouble to ensure their food is safe.

Glad there are nit free factories too smile.

ChocaMum Sat 24-Sep-11 08:54:15

It is so nice, although rare, to find these manufacturers. I think I remember seeing this lady on dragons den which is why I remembered they were very thorough.

If you need ice-creams though, smooze is a coconut milk based nut free ice cream I get from allergy Essex. The handy thing with the smooze is it doesn't have to be stored in the freezer untill you want to eat them, so I just keep about 6 in the freezer and some more boxes in the cupboard because freezer space is always so precious, especially when it comes to cooking for allergies.

shouldbeelswhere Sun 25-Sep-11 20:59:11

fivecandles your poor DD, but the good think is she knows how to keep herself safe. My DD is only 2 and she always asks about nuts and is very anxious about food generally unfortunately. Fabulous bakin boys products are nut free and harvest cheweee are made in a nut free factory.

ChocaMum Mon 26-Sep-11 11:14:33

Ooh I didn't know about harvest chewee, thanks. It's great to find some more nut free products.

shouldbeelswhere Mon 26-Sep-11 20:59:56

chocaMum I was just looking at the allergy Essex website as I was interested and hadn't heard of it. Surprised to see Bear Yo Yos as they are packed "in a cave where nuts and seeds are kept".

My DD loves these and as she had had them before we knew about her allergy I thought I'd take a chance with them but after eating about 4 in one go shock she got very itchy around the mouth so I haven't dared allow her them since. I've emailed Allergy Essex to ask them about the nut situation (we didn't buy them there but same packaging)

shouldbeelswhere Tue 27-Sep-11 09:17:45

Got this reply from Allergy Essex this morning...

We have checked with the manufacturer direct and the fruit rolls are made and packaged in a completely seperate area where ther are no nuts. Our fruit rolls say the same.

What is your daughter allergic to other than nuts and we may be able to guide you. Our son is not allergic to nuts but if he has too many he has mild reactions which are to sulphite and histamine which are very common with fruits whether dried or fresh.

Hope we can be of help to you in working out the cause.

Best Wishes
Michelle

ChocaMum Tue 27-Sep-11 12:53:25

That's a relief, I was getting worried there! I found allergy Essex at the gluten Free and allergy show in earls court earlier this year. They were really friendly and helpful, and they always seem so quick to reply to enquiries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now