Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Random mild reaction to chicken and fish

(6 Posts)
FilthyDirtyHeathen Sun 11-Sep-11 09:01:50

For the last year DS aged 9 has been having random reactions to chicken and some fish. I say random because sometimes he can eat both these foods and be fine and on other occasions his lips will swell a little and hives appear on his cheeks and neck.

Because his response is so random (he can eat chicken the chicken in Wagamamma for instance but the chicken in another restaurant will cause a problem) I am wondering if his reaction is to something in the chicken, a chemical or additive perhaps rather than the foodstuff itself.

Does anybody have any experience of this sort of random response? I would love to get some insight on why it might be happening. The first time he reacted I took him to see the Practice Nurse, she wasn't overly concerned and didn't have much to say except give him Piriton.

greenbananas Sun 11-Sep-11 10:41:06

Yes, my DS has this kind of random reaction to some chicken.

Does your DS have any other allergies?

Not sure if this is the right answer (hope somebody more expert can comment!) but a friend whose brother has the same allergies as my DS told me that chicken is sometimes injected with other proteins, including milk protein, and that this is not shown on the packaging. Here is a link to a BBC Panorama report about it back in 2003.

My solution is to buy chicken only from my local butcher, who has checked with his supplier that it is okay. I guess free range organic would be okay too.

FilthyDirtyHeathen Sun 11-Sep-11 18:03:00

Ds has no other sensitivity or allergies. Thanks for the link! Very interesting.

thecaptaincrocfamily Sun 11-Sep-11 21:50:33

If it isn't all chicken then it probably is due to a preservative/ additive. Does he use ketchup/ mayo with his chicken as these can bring out this type of reaction!

youarekidding Sun 11-Sep-11 22:07:19

My DS has the reaction to ketchup - and only some brands. confused.

He avoids all ketchup since a severe reaction last year (but not to ketchup!).

Fish (esp shellfish) is a known common allegy. So is it shellfish he's reacting too and not to non shellfish iyswim?

FilthyDirtyHeathen Tue 13-Sep-11 11:06:00

I had a feeling it might be a reaction to an additive in the meat. At home I know which chicken and fish are OK so problem is avoided.

He is OK with shellfish, he reacts to smoked salmon mostly, occasionally white fish so again I imagine it is something in the smoking process.

Thanks for your replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now