Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

"Black Children More Likely to Have Peanut Allergy"

(36 Posts)
kerrymumbles Thu 08-Sep-11 15:34:58

Here I found that shocking. Would have thought the opposite.

mamofK Thu 08-Sep-11 15:38:19

why?

kerrymumbles Thu 08-Sep-11 15:41:31

well it is making an assumption based on genetics. Many studies I have read have said that the incidence of allergy in African nations is very low, virtually non-existent.

Also, at any allergy clinic I have ever brought kids to I have never seen a person of colour. All just very pale, washed out white kids.

mamofK Thu 08-Sep-11 15:50:26

Yes, but this study refers to children with african ancestry in Chicago, not african children. In africa, children would have more immune challenges on a constant basis and this has been shown to dampen down allergic responses for a number of reasons including some parasites actually interfere in allergic responses. In america, that would probably no longer be an issue. Also, this research is not making any "assumption based on genetics", they are reporting a statistically relevant association between genetic ancestry and incidence of allergy. Such genome-wide association studies are very common in many aspects of scientific research and some very real differences have been seen between different races i.e. some diseases (or tendency to disease) are much more prevalent in some races than others.

Regarding your allergy clinic, that would all depend on where you live and the cultural makeup of that area.

kerrymumbles Thu 08-Sep-11 15:53:54

yes, genetic ancestry. so if the group is of African ancestry I don't understand how it makes a difference that they are now in Chicago for however many generations.

bran Thu 08-Sep-11 16:05:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mamofK Thu 08-Sep-11 16:11:02

@bran - that may certainly be a reason, but african children face far more immune challenges on a daily basis than in the US and are therefore less likely to develop an allergy.
@kerrymumbles - the chances of developing an allergy vary widely depending on where you live, it is not solely dependent on genetics. A person living in Africa would be less likely than that same person living in US to develop an allergy. However, if a cohort of people in the US of the same genetic ancestry (be it African or Asian or Northern European) show a higher than average presentation of the same allergy, this is scientifically interesting as then there is a common genetic thread linking this phenomenon and if that was found, it could provide answers to many allergic tendencies.

nokissymum Thu 08-Sep-11 16:45:15

Tis quite an interesting thread. I was pointing out sometime ago to a colleague that there seemed to be less cases of asthma amongst children born and living in africa than in the u.k. The colleaugues response was "they're pobably not dignosed or die very early" hmm. Born in the u.k and raised in nigeria from about 7 yrs of age, i was diagnosed with asthma shortly after arriving there. I had always suffered from breathlessness in the u.k but had never been diagnosed. At school there was a very strong correlation between pupils that were from england with an asthma diagnosis. The "local children" just didnt have seem to have any of our sniffles, coughs, eczema etc And it was not because they hadnt been disgnosed!

Some lived in awful conditions, near untarred roads coupled with awful air polution and other irritants, i cant say theirdiet was that great either but they thrived all the same, and had the lungs of a lion, us british kids only needed to catch a whiff and our chests would start constricting.

Asthma over there has usually been seen as a condition children over from abroad suffer from and more often now a condition children from "priviledged" backgrounds seem to suffer from.

I stronly believe there is "something" to all of this although not scientifically proven, but maybe some research could shed some more light.

babybarrister Thu 08-Sep-11 17:15:08

well in central london I have seen lots of african/afro-carribean children at the clinic. in addition the studies of fatalities show that Asian boys have an unusually high incidence of death unfortunately ....

nokissymum Thu 08-Sep-11 18:49:47

babybarrister ^well in central london i have seen lots of african/carribean children at the clinic"

is neither here nor there really, are you saying that there is a higher rate of asthma/allergies amongst these children than other races ?

mamofK Fri 09-Sep-11 09:05:58

@nokissy - I think Babybarrister may be referring to the first OP, kerrymumbles, who said all she sees at clinic are white kids

babybarrister Sat 10-Sep-11 11:03:21

thank you mamofK - that was the point I was making in response. Obviously I have no idea on % stats just responding as to comment re who in clinics ....

the stats on Asian boys though are contained in the UK Resuscitation Council Guidelines on the treatment of anaphylaxis

InTheNightKitchen Sat 10-Sep-11 12:46:02

"very pale, washed out white kids" hmmhmm

It seems like you have some specific prejudice about allergies, eg that they are caused by overprotective parenting/kids not playing in the dirt enough/affluence/some form of moral degeneracy brought on by comfortable lives? And you are upset by this study because it appears to contradict your belief.

Of course there may or not be something to this research, and it might say something about genetics, environment (black people in Chicago tend to be poorer than white people, there are definitely lots of other differences....) or not.

Don't see why it's 'shocking' though except if you have some agenda.

kerrymumbles Sat 10-Sep-11 15:02:57

what fucking sort of AGENDA would I have?

jaysus some people on here are insane.

the description you quoted is EXACTLY what I see in clinics. Usually the kids have allergic "shiners" as well. Do you want me to make something up to be what?

ffs.

there is plenty of research done around the theory of western "cleanliness" causing a marked increase in allergic conditions.

kerrymumbles Sat 10-Sep-11 15:04:30

btw BOTH my kids have anaphylaxis and asthma. I'm not some "doubting Thomas"

misdee Sat 10-Sep-11 15:13:18

hey kerry, checvk out dd2 atopic shiners in this pic on my blog heder do i need to say she is the one in black?

taken at the height of her hayfever season.

Thumbwitch Sat 10-Sep-11 15:16:54

this is a nice and recent article on the hygiene hypothesis, which is not universally accepted.

And apparently asthma is on the rise in Africa and Asia as well as the western cultures so it's not just a "white kid" thing.

Possibly more to do with gut bacteria, which have a modulating effect on the immune responses to food substances, than infectious agents - but who knows? It's an uncertain field.

I have my own thoughts around it - involving the increase in unnatural foods and the use of pesticides but those are generally considered under the "conspiracy theory" banner so won't bother talking about them here.

InTheNightKitchen Sat 10-Sep-11 17:08:13

Ok, maybe I am stupid. Why are the allergic kids pale and washed-out??

NotJustKangaskhan Sat 10-Sep-11 17:32:56

"yes, genetic ancestry. so if the group is of African ancestry I don't understand how it makes a difference that they are now in Chicago for however many generations."

Because most Black people in the States come from a very narrow range of the African continent (it's obviously not one genetics for people of African descent, the genetic profiles from Africa are very diverse from region to region) and the history of the States means that for most, their family tree will include more White and Native American than it would be for those living in Africa which may change certain things. Also, as has been said, what they come into contact with will be very different.

And in the UK, the passing white majority is close to 90% so those you see in the clinic probably has more to do with that than anything else.

Shallishanti Sat 10-Sep-11 17:42:11

there was something on R4 about this the other day- apropos of epigenetics- they said (I think) that Jewish children in (I think) the UK had much higher rates of peanut allergy than Jewish children in Israel, the idea being that they were of similar genetic stock but that aspects of the environment 'swithched on' the atopic genes, when they were living in the UK
or something like that

freefrommum Sat 10-Sep-11 19:06:27

InTheNightKitchen do you have a child with allergies? The description of 'pale and washed out' is very accurate for most kids with allergies with the addition of black eyes (allergic shiners). Read this: www.bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/conditions/in_depth/allergies/aboutallergies_spotting.shtml
Quote "Children with allergies tend to have an unhealthy looking pale complexion called 'white dermatographism' and are often small for their age."
The original point of this thread (which seems to have been totally missed/twisted) was simply that it is quite surprising to hear that black children are more likely to have peanut allergy as most info up to now has seem to indicate that allergies are less common in the afro-caribbean communities. Full stop.

kerrymumbles Sat 10-Sep-11 22:50:12

awww misdee. that's a lovely pic!!

misdee Sat 10-Sep-11 22:58:11

''Quote "Children with allergies tend to have an unhealthy looking pale complexion called 'white dermatographism' and are often small for their age."

that describes two out of 3 of my daughters with allergies. the other one is stupidly tall, but has oral allergy syndrome and hayfever (birch), so whe it hit hards she looks bloody awful. i got called into school over the summer as they were very concerned at how pale she was and how tired she looked (atopic shiners)

babybarrister Sun 11-Sep-11 08:40:22

interesting re smallness as DS started on 91st centile when born and is now on 25th .... sad

I think there has been some misunderstanding on this thread - the vast majority of us posting whether black, white, yellow, pink are in the allergic mire together and it is a bastard....

I think we are all basically just looking for answers but let's stick together please ladies!!!

I have never met any of you in RL but I would always rather hope that what we have in common outweighs any differences we had

I have heard various theories from DS consultant on links between particular allergens and ethnicity

On the one hand I understand that Ireland has the highest rate of coeliac disease as after the potato famine the population were forced to eat wheat which they were not used to as a result of which they cannot digest it properly - I have also heard the same said in relation to anyone emanating from Southern Europe/Asia and Africa in relation to cow's milk - ie the indigenous population did not eat much of it so it causes problems - certainly in our case I have now remembered that my DB in the 70s was on soya milk [v unusual for the time and v difficult to obtain - it came in large cans!!!] whilst DH mother had to buy a goat to provide him with goat's milk - I now ask myself what chance DS ever stood of being able to drink cmp ....grin -precisely none if there is any genetic link at all I would have thought!

Having said that, DS is also allergic to lentils which provoked a direct question as to whether he has some Middle Eastern roots - which indeed he does - as apparently lentil allergy is very unusual in the rest of the population. There seemed to be a suggestion that in fact lentil allergy was more common in the middle east where they eat more lentils - which would seem to contradict the above

So I am rather confused as to whether people would tend to react more to things which their ethnic group were used to eating or not used to eating .....!

Anyway, all of this is probably of secondary importance to the vital questions such as where do I get egg free pancakes and why it is that DS has finally realised, now that he can eat school dinners as they do them on site, that as I told him for 2 years, his packed lunches were much nicer ....grin.

Still it is great to hear him moaning about yucky school dinners - I never thought I would hear the day! smile

freefrommum Sun 11-Sep-11 10:34:49

babybarrister that's interesting that you say the highest rate of coeliac disease is Ireland as I was told by my DD's consultant that it's the Italians who have the highest rate in the World and that it was the Romans who brought the disease to the rest of the World. I asked if this was because they ate so much wheat (pasta, pizza etc) but he said no it was simply a genetic thing as they didn't used to eat that stuff in Roman times. He said that most research into coeliac disease comes out of Italy for this reason. It is all very confusing as I too have heard that certain allergies are more common in countries where they eat a lot of certain foods (eg lupin allergy in France and other parts of Europe but not here as not commonly used in food) but then other things I read seem to say it's when people don't normally eat a certain food then introduce it at a later date that an allergy occurs confused. Not that any of this helps me deal with DD1's coeliac disease or DS2's multiple allergies! I'm off to prepare freefrom party food for the pair of them to take with them this afternoon. Oh to be able to just turn up and let them eat whatever they want...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now