Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Jext - the excitement mounts

(8 Posts)
babybarrister Tue 06-Sep-11 19:15:20

Apparently today the new Jext adrenaline pen was launched - I think it has a retractable needle - just how exciting is that grin

www.anaphylaxis.org.uk/cms/site/news/alk-abell.aspx

Likeaninjanow Tue 06-Sep-11 20:51:49

Am I a bit stupid? What is it? How does it work? I had a look, but it seems to be the same as an epipen. Am I missing something? (clearly I am..help me!)

youarekidding Tue 06-Sep-11 21:00:08

The Epi-pen needle doesn't retract and BB thinks this has a retractable needle. Safety would be the main point here.

babybarrister Tue 06-Sep-11 21:30:54

I have to say it looked exactly the same to us too! I just read someone else's comment about retractable needle - presumably there must be some difference as the manufacturers are the same so it is not a question of competition ....

Likeaninjanow Wed 07-Sep-11 12:24:39

Ah, I think I'm still needing some help though (dumb emoticon). Does that mean it retracts after it's been used? Automatically??? Or hit a button and it retracts?

Hmmnnn...will do some googling and see what I can find...

youarekidding Wed 07-Sep-11 19:35:54

I have picked up a prescription today for more epi-pens (2 expire next month - organised emotion!). They say for ALK - won't be putting it in for 6 weeks or so but will pop into chemist and ask what JEST ones are and if they can be ordered specifically. (That's my nosy emotion!)

Hopefully because they are new they won't have really short expiry dates like the ones they try and palm us off with!

babybarrister Wed 07-Sep-11 20:47:19

I am sure they try to palm off all the crap epipens on the "newbies" - but we are now wise grin

youarekidding Wed 07-Sep-11 20:58:23

Yeah and I'm now wise too. grin The ones that expire next month were only prescribed in February. shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now